Bluegill for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by wrs75, Jun 10, 2007.

1. wrs75

wrs75 New Member

State:
    mo
    when you use bluegill for bait do you leave them whole or cut them into pieces. if you leave them whole where do you hook them? we usually use nightcrawlers, liver or crawdads, but i found a pond full of little bluegill and thought i would try them.

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    There are many different ways of doing this. I think that during this time of the year using the bluegill live is one of the optimal baits. Cutting them will do well too. I usually hook mine through the eyes of through the bottom of the mouth so that it comes out of the top of the head.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Small I would use whole and the bigger ones I would cut up.

4. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I use cut bluegill a good bloody side works good here mainly blues flatheads might prefer whole live gills. I have never had much success with live but tery it both ways where you fish and it will tell the stroy better then I. Goodluck

5. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    When I drift fish I will put the head on one hook,hooked thru the upper and lower jaws.I put the sides on the oher hook,I prefer the head.When I fish with a bobber I like using the sides.

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I use them live with a circle hook,I hook them below the dorsel but not in the backbone nerve so it kills them. Ive also cut the guts out so they hang out of the fish and fished them that way.

7. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    One thing I have learned from a Old Fishing Buddy is if you use them live you should scrape/scale a patch of their scales on the sides and it causes the fish to act in a different way. They act more as a wounded fish and send out a distressed "signal" and it attracts the big cats faster! The man I learned this from has passed now, but he was a BIG TIME Fisherman of both fresh and salt water! He taught me some things that REALLY helped me on my Fishing Adventures!!!

Hope this will help you as well!
    Andy:smile2: