Bluegill for bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by lakeloramiemike, Aug 27, 2006.

1. lakeloramiemike

lakeloramiemike New Member

does anyone know if it is legal to use bluegill for bait? i have heard that if you catch them legally (on a hook) they can be used one day i was out throwing the cast net when the local park ranger stopped to talk to me and i presented my question to him he stated bluegill cannot be used at all

2. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    In North Carolina you can youse them if you catch them on rod and reel no cast net.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Mike you can use them as long as it was caught with Rod and Reel or canepole. You can legaly use them if caught in a castnet

4. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was pretty sure they just adopted a new law regarding blue gill as bait? From what I understand a lot of baitshops are selling them now so I don't understand why using ones caught in a cast net would present a problem. I catch them in cast nets all the time....but where I fish shad are king. I get runs on blue gills but nothing like with shad. Anyway I would call the DNR tomorrow if I were you to avoid getting a fine or something. Everyone will have their own "This is the rule" advice or echo something they heard.....just call and make sure because lord knows it is hit or miss with the cool gamers just like anything else. Hope this helps, I will hunt for the number for you and also another thread on this topic. Take care

Ben

5. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    in ohio if you catch them on a pole they are fair game.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Same in Indiana, as long as bluegills are caught on tackle then its up to the fisherman

7. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i think that its fine to use them. a buddy and i were fishing on day and had a ranger walk up on us and he seen us useing them and all he ask was for us to just throw what we don't use throw them back so aleast the other fish will eat them.

8. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    i posted earleir saying that my buddy got a fine in Preble coun. for telling the warden he was going to use them for bait but he was using a cast net.
    if u look in the back of a regulation book, hunt or fish, u can find the number for your local warden. call and ask him. those guys have always been cool to me.