Bluegill for bait - How is everybody catching the bluegill?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by drcwaynem, Jun 6, 2006.

1. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How do you catch your bluegill's for bait? I use a cast net and catch mine in a local city pond. A lot quicker than the single pole and hook method. Not sure how legal that is, but if it is illegal I suppose I will definitely find out one day.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    In Ohio its illeagle to use cast net to catch them has to be done by R/R.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    BLUEGILL AS BAIT
    There is nothing in the Illinois Fish Code which
    prohibits the use of legally taken bluegill or sunfish
    as bait for another species of fish. The
    bluegill/sunfish must have been taken by a
    properly licensed sport fisherman using legal
    sportfishing devices. You must also observe all
    size and creel limits both where the
    bluegill/sunfish were taken and where they are
    being used as bait. Also, it is illegal to cut up
    or dress or be in possession of cut up or
    dressed fish on any body of water where there
    is a size limit for that particular species of fish.

4. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    A lot of states have weird laws on using a game fish for bait. Nebraska is one of the more complicated.

You can use a game fish, like a bluegill as bait, ONLY in the body of water it was caught it and only if it was caught legally. (rod and reel in NE)

If there is a length limit for the species you want to use on a particular water body (and NE does have some lake with length limits on panfish) , you have to abide by those rules and the fish you use counts as part of your bag. However, the length limit regs state that for any fish that there is a length limit for where you are fishing, you cannot filet or do anything more than removing the gills and guts until you get home, so you cannot use such a fish as cut bait.

5. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well if that's the answer for Illinois, I suppose I will have to cease and disist the cast net in local city pond. Now if I happen to catch a couple while netting shad, that should be a different story.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here in Arkansas, you can net as many bream under 4" in length for bait as you want, but bream over 4" must be caught with a rod & reel, and count toward your daily limit, whether you plan to use them for bait or eat them.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    How do you put a dress on them :big_smile_2:

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I dress mine in cornmeal!:lol:

9. flathead81

flathead81 New Member

State:
    illinois
    we have 5 traps we made for them look like minnow traps just alot bigger all we do is put bread in it toss it in a pond and wait a hour or so and go back and get them

10. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    once you dress them up ...where do you take em too????lol

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Like Gary said, we have to use R+R to get gills. That is why I take the wife, and soon baby. Teach em to catch bait, while you are fishing for the big boys.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Haha, I dress mine in a big ol Kahle hook

After they are dressed up, I take em to a flathead dance

:cool2: :haha: :big_smile_2: :boss: :0a30:

13. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    You can use em here, but they have to be caught legally and you have to abide by the creel limit.

14. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Here You Can Catch As Many As You Need Legally On R/r Usually As Quick As You Can Bait The Hook.

15. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Works for me also except I take my granddaughter. They keep the big ones for a meal.

16. fat cat75

fat cat75 New Member

State:
    il
    i take them out to eat

17. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here in Missouri the laws state that you can use bluegill for bait, cut or otherwise.

If you are using a cast net any non-game fish may be kept for bait. Bluegill, Green sunfish and bullheads greater than 5" must be returned immediately. Other non-game fish over 12" must be returned immediately.

New change this year: there is no length limit for carp caught in this manner.

Since I have a cast net out, even if I catch a bluegill with my other rod and reel I let all of them over 5" go just to avoid any questions from a warden.

18. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    Me and my cousin have become professional gill hitmen lately LOL We can pull in about 30 a time up here in our slush ponds at work, theres some 1lber's in one of our ponds because it's hard to get to and covered with cattails and lilypads.

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I catch them on r&r pretty easily but I also use a regular minnow trap. I use dry dog food in a baggy with holes punched in the bag and works great if you leave it alone for a few hours. Most of the time I can catch them one after another with rod and reel though. It's much easier to pack a bait rod then dragging the trap along! We cant use castnets in freshwater in Calif:sad2:

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I catch most most of mine on a sort of a mdoified little spinner (like a littlbe beetle spin) with a Berkeley Power bait micro wiggler on it.

By the way - it's legal in SC to use them as bait, but they have to follow the normal leagal possession limits, and have to be caught legally, which means rod and reel. It's not legal to take sunfish, bass, or most any other sportfihs with a cast net (only shad, mullet, menhaden - stuff like that). Although, I'm not sure how they could prove it unless they saw you actually catching them.