Bluegill fishing

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by big cat, Apr 23, 2007.

1. big cat

big cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    has anyone been catchin any bluegill because i havent if you have what are yo using and are you using a bobber please help

2. ibcleary

ibcleary New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Last wendsday I caught 7 bigger than hand size here in NC. I was using red worms and a slip-bobber set-up. I had the stop about 18" above the hook. Not the most efficeint way, but dead simple once you find the depth.

3. TnShooter

TnShooter New Member

State:
    E. Tennessee
    I caught a few last week on a small hook and night crawler threaded on the hook, all small not keeper by no means.

4. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I use a small bobber with about 18 inches of line "no weight" with wax worms. If you become a flathead fishermn you will become a good bluegill fisherman.

5. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I found that a tiny piece of chicken heart is just as effective as worms and will stay on the hook longer. I use a #10 wire hook that has had the barb filed off and the hook shank bent like this <____/ . I also use 50# green braided line and just enough split shot to get the job done. On a windy day you might need more. When I get hung, I just pull straight back and never break off. You can fish all day without re-rigging your setup. Fish around the rocks in slow water. Sometimes they are right near the bank and other times you need to go a little deaper and move away from the bank a bit but usually always near some kind of structure. I rarely fish deeper than 30" and most of the time less than that. Go tear 'em up!

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been catching them on a red and white tube with jig. Either under a bobber or just retrieveing at a slow speed.
    Bill

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I use a #10 Gamakatsu circle hook with a snap on bullet weight and fish it like a Carolina rigged plastic worm for bass. Just a really slow crank along the bottom in shallow water along the bank. Redworms are my bait of choice.

8. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Is this best for bluegills or will shellcrackers hit hearts too?