Bluegill Fishing Help

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by jerellman, Aug 17, 2009.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Well I've been trying to catch bluegill recently & have been fairly successful. I was just wondering how to find out the depth of the water I'm fishing so that I can get my bait like a foot above the ground. I'm fishing from the shore btw.

2. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    thanks a lot, it really helped

3. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Jerell try just fishing a hook with a about a 1/2 a night crawler wrapped around it and letting it slowly sink to the bottom, the gills can't resist a slow sinking target! If you are in a river cast up stream and let it sink as it goes down with the current another good tactic to attract a gills attention! Use a little circle hook and it will cut down on them swallowing the hook.

4. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    i think gills love Wax works and redwigglers. i mean they go crazy for them.. :wink:

5. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I've been using meal worms to pretty good effect recently. Caught around 8-9 today in an hour and a half.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm with Steve on this one, try and get rid of the bobber, although I understand sometimes you cant find a clear spot off the edge.

I hit places where people swim..sounds crazy don't it ? but ya ever been swimming and notice if you stay still, the bream come pecking on your toes ? Swimming areas are usually sandy and clear, so are boat docks, and ramps. Throw out a 1/4 piece of bread and they will come up and go crazy. Drop that free floating worm in front of them and they will slam it just over competition. I don't let it sink to the bottom, I just pull up and keep tossing and dropping...the drop is what brings them to ya. I do agree too that wigglers/red worms are best, but a crawler will stay on a lot better than them ...just plain tougher. If they stop biting, that particular school might not be hungry anymore...(they just look at your bait),,,move on down to the next school.

Meal worms and etc aren't found around here....I'm dyin to try them...I hear good things about them.

Look up Sabiki rigs also, they are the best if your in a spot you can use them.

I know you didn't ask for all this info but I'm jacked up on coffee so I'm really into writing atm, LOL.

Welcome to the BoC ; )
    -Jim-

7. luvndabeers

luvndabeers New Member

State:
    Indiana
    crickets....big gills looooove crickets!!