Bluegill & Fishfinders

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by 223Smitty, Jun 28, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone have any tips for using a fishfinder (I just got a new Eagle Fishmark 480) to locate 'gills in deeper water? I fish a small local lake and can always catch a few nice ones by running the banks, but I know there are some larger 'gills & crappie in deeper water.

Thanks
    Smitty

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would say locate and drop it down. you can't always tell though if it crappies/gills or something else.

3. skiptomylu

skiptomylu New Member

I would like to know more about finding them gills in deep water too. However I do have a tip for finding the crappie, around the contour changes or other kind of drop-offs if you see fish on you sonar from top to bottom, it's probably bass. However if you see a group of fish suspended and are in a 5' or so area (like if the water is 20' deep and fish are from 10'-15') there is a good chance they are crappie.

Hope this helps!

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the additional info on the crappie Skip!

Smitty

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    223 I have one of those smart cast fish finders and I am taking it to two ponds next week that only have bream and warmouths in them if you will remind me when I get back around the 22nd or so I will let you know my findings. I am doing this so I learn more about using a depth finder. I have noticed that just watching the little fish pop up on the screen is not showing all the fish. So I am going to spend a little while out there trying to figure the depth finder out thanks to the depth finder tutorial that was on here.
    Stephen

6. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    223smitty, my brother joe was a master finding gills/redear in deep water, with his fishfinder. the one where i was with him was a lake in southern indiana, he always said you can find them if they are stacked up in the deeper water. i saw the screen, a blob about 2ft off the bottom. sure enough, we sit there the whole weekend. gill after gill.

7. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I found them once last year where my fish finder was set on fish alarm and was beeping but there was nothing on the screen.I dropped my hook to 3 inches off the bottom and caught 75 in less then 2 hours.