Bluegill feeding in bait pond.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kspor, May 3, 2006.

1. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have built a pond in my backyard and decided to stock it with bluegill instead of Koi. I caught a bunch last weekend (8) and tossed them in. I bought some floating pellets and they dont seem to respond to them. I also have two small crappy in there and they dont like the pellets either.

Does it just take them time to get used to it or am I going to have to get worms to feed them.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I think it dose take a little time for them to get uset to the pellet's, I belong to a gun club and they feed the fish even the bullhead's eat the pellet's. It's fun to watch, just like a Trout hatchery only Bullhead.

3. Dosse

Dosse New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    It will take them a little while to adjust to it, we feed the bream in our pond and started making noise before we would feed by tapping on a 55 gallon drum that we stored the pellets in(kind of like a dinner bell) and after 2 weeks you could tap on the drum and already see the fish waiting on the food by the bank. but it took them a little while to figure out that the liked the pellets

4. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a bluegill in my room in an aquarium (just a wee baby) and it took it about a week, maybe less, to adjust to eating the pellets. Now it starts swimming all around the tank when it see's my hand reach for the package of pellets. Pavlovian response i assume.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You Might Try Putting The Pellets In The Blender & Crush Them Up A Bit. I Take floating Catfish Food & Grind It Up Real Fine In The Blender And Throw It Out On The Water To Keep My Shiners Fed And Baited Up So I Can Cast Net Them.

What The Heck?, Try It. Elliot

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Forgot To Give Credit Where Credit Is Due, As It Was Not An Idea That I Came Up With.

I Learned This By Watching My Mom Make Pie Crust From Baby Teething Crackers When I Was A Kid.

Amazing What You See That You Can Apply To Other Situations,:smile2: Elliot

7. Kentucky Boy

Kentucky Boy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Those guys are right, you are doing fine, but the fish just have to adjust to a new home and then figure out where the food is. Once they figure out that the food is coming in at the same spot they will be ready to feed, just give them time.

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I'm about to start keeping them also, thanks for the tips.

Welcome to the BOC Alex glad another 'Bama guy is here. Really not that many of us.

9. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    The bluegills I believe will begin to eat the pellet food. Crappie I dont know, You might try throwing in some minnows for them they're pretty predatory.