Bluegill Cleaning

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Aaron Canfield(Kyfisherman1) on June 18, 2005

Ok I said I would do this so here it is. Step by step instructions on how to fillet bluegill.
    I have also included pictures so you can follow easier

[​IMG]

Start by laying your fillet knife behind the pectoral fin

[​IMG]

Cut all the way through the ribs and down to the main bone that runs through the fish. You will be able to feel it with your knife

[​IMG]

Turn the blade 90 degrees and cut all the way down the backbone to the tail of the fish. Do not detach the fillet from the fish yet, leave a small piece attached.

[​IMG]

Now flip the fillet over the tail as shown. As you can see the gut pocket is still intact and the rib bones are still attached to the fillet.

[​IMG]

Hold your knife at a 45 degree angle and make a cut through the fillet to the skin. Then turn your blade and lay it flat pressing down slightly. Cut the fillet from the skin.

[​IMG]

As you can see. you have a nice clean fillet, But you need to get rid of those rib bones!

[​IMG]

Again turn your blade at a 45 degree angle and make a cut along the rib bone. You can just follow the curvature of the bone and cut them away pretty easily. Once you have the rib bone detached, put the fillet in a bowl of water and move on to the other side and do the same thing.

[​IMG]

Your fillets should look something like this. If not keep trying! Its well worth it. You now have a completely boneless free peice of fish! Roll em in cornmeal and fry them up! Good eatin'