Bluegill chum

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by ole whiskers, Aug 1, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

Fill a burlap sack with lots of fish guts. Tie to a over hanging tree limb. cut several slits in the bottom. After about 7 days the maggots will be falling and the bluegills will bit anything you through at them.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great idea,I bet the predatory fish are close as well.[C A T F I S H ]

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What works even better is to make a basket of 1/2" hardware cloth and fasten it to a tree that hangs over the water. Throw all your meat scraps in the basket. I've even seen a 55-gallon drum attached to a tree at roughly a 30-degree angle (low end toward water), placed so that scraps could be tossed inside from a boat or from land. Obviously, fishing with maggots as bait will work best.

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    bet it wouldn't take long for some big flats to start hanging around great idea thank

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm afraid you can't do that in the bayous of Louisiana cause the gators will just snatch the bag..May work well up here in Tennessee though..

6. reloader1220_270

reloader1220_270 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i could do that here,witch now its not legal

7. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

There are a few gators but have not had any sacks brought down by gators. Lucky I guess.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Maybe that's the reason for the one I saw made from a metal 55-gallon drum.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Folks use to hang a Cow head or Deer head over the water for this.Any road kill or other will do.Wire it to the horns or bone.

Coons and possums will get into or gnaw down the bags or sacks.The old 5 gallon steel bucket with wired down lids hung on a wire works well.Gators cannot get into any if it is high enough.

Many folks do not know it but a possum swims well.They even swim underwater at will.Just try to catch one swimming from a boat.They will sometimes go under here,stay under a while and come up over yonder!They will repeat this just like a human.I once had a chicken eating one work me to death in a pond.Me with a big boat and a paddle!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use a dead chicken hanging from a tree over the ponds edge to chum for blue gills. And YES the cat fish are real close bye.

11. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

Thanks PeeWee will try hanging a head or two.......

12. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    No doubt the smell of the decaying flesh/fish brings lots of coyotes to check it out!

I've wanted to do this for years but my small pond is way too close to my house!

Attached Files:

13. cod26

cod26 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would have to guess that a resperator or very strong colonge would then have to be part of the terminal tackle....LOL

14. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I read before about this method of chumming for gills. I've never found a good place to do it
    but I have no doubt that it would work great!

15. 92yj

92yj New Member

State:
    ca
    i use a mackerel because i cant hang any thing in the trees here. so i take a mackerel and chunk it up and drop it in close to the bank in side of a bag. it works vary well for me. then i take the b gills home and grind them up for cat bait.

16. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    SI used a can of alpo beef liver chunks works pretty well pretty cheep to, I dont know mackrel might stink worse though might try it. Thanks Sam Davis

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Wow, great ideas guys,,,,

Been having a real hard time getting gills interested in committing to taking the hook lately.. I can imagine some incentive works pretty good!!

18. foreverman

foreverman New Member

State:
    va
    I get any grain and freezee it then toss it out there but i will try this can you keep them around in the winter.