Bluegill bait hooks

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by grillking, Sep 14, 2007.

1. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    what size hooks do use for live bluegills? and also how do you hook them?

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    size 10 or 12 circle hooks,very few deep hooked fish and a good hook=up ratio

3. Skunk River Cat

Skunk River Cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree. Just to add, I hook my bluegills right below the top dorsal fin.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Tony, where do you find #12 circle hooks, and are they as small as a #12 cricket hook? Here in Arkansas, bream over 4" have to be caught on rod & reel, and count against your daily limit; bream under 4" can be caught in a net, and there's no limit. The circle hooks I've been able to find are just too big to catch 3"-4" bream. and I don't want to limit myself to the bigger ones. So, I use a #12 long shanked cricket hook. The long shank makes it easier to get the hook out.

5. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    let me rephrase my question. what size hooks do you use to use bluegills as bait. where and how do you hook them?:big_smile:

6. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it just depend on how you are fishing and what you are fishing for...If you are fishing for flats...I agree totally a #7 to #10 circle is great just under the dorsal fin this will help them stay alive the longest in my opinion...If I am fishing for Channel...I will Fillet or chunk them and hook through the softest area I can on the same style hook...

Just my crazy way...hope this helps ya a bit...hardly use any other style hooks any more unless I am trotline,jug or bank pole fishing...

7. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Jerry we get them at buckeye outdoors and bass-pro and gander mountain around here ,your bait dealer should be able to order them for you,they are gamakatsu ans eagle claw brand

8. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use 7-0 or 8-0 ocotpus hooks on gills. I also hook them under the dorsal, but in hard current I hook them from the bottom behind the lips.

9. catfishcrzy

catfishcrzy New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    i dont know wut the hooks are called but they are like a oval hook and i havent ever lost a cat so far on them.. and i usually for cut bluegills i hook them in the cut area up threw the dorsal fin area. and for live bluegills i hook them under the dorsal fin.:big_smile:

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I prefer Kahle hooks when using bluegills.i just use the head most of the time.2/0 or3/0 depending on the size of the bluegill,i hook him in the mouth out between the eyes and let the hook point be exposed.DEADLY.

11. Claude

Claude New Member

State:
    Georgia
    7/0 circle hooked under dorsal.

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i like a 6/0 to 8/0 octopus hook, right behind the dorsal fin (when hookling from the top) or anal fin (when hooking from bottom). havent lost but 2 fish and that is because they straightened the hook out enough to get off. big flathead out here.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    5/0 to 7/0 Kahle depending on the size of Bait I'm using... I tend to lean tward the bigger size most the time even with smaller baits.... Works your bait more though.....

14. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Ryan, check out Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks (st# 209415). These hooks are 4x strong and extremely sharp. They come in a variety of sizes I use 5/0-8/0 depending on the size of the bluegill. I am sure cabelas and bass pro will stock these.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the 'oval hook' sounds like a kahle. i use size 7 octopus circles.