Bluegill as catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by slowjamcdub, Oct 29, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    do bluegils make go cat fish bait???

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    They are mighty fine bait. Blues, Flats and channels more of the first two for me. But with a nice three two five incher in a log jam you might just catch the fish you have always dreamed of. Hook them behind the dorsal when fishing very little or know current or hook them through the the nostrals if fishing them live. Other wise cut into one inch or so wide strips,cut in half. There are many ways to fish with them and catch all species.

:0a26:

3. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Real good bait Chris. Live or cut works good

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I agree they are great bait some use the whole some just the heads some cut some whole scaled some whole with cuts in the sides , I like to keep scissors in tackle box and trim about an eighth inch off the tail it helps the oil in the fish release and dosent kill the bait . you will have to try different things and see what works best for you

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have had good luck using bluegills. Live and cut.

7. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i never leave home without them:wink:

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Chris......first off a big welcome to the BOC from Western Kentucky. And to answer your question....why yes. Bluegills do make good catfish bait! I never use anything else to fish for catfish.....unless it is the dead of winter and I simply can't catch any Bluegills. Then i will use shad or skipjacks into cut bait.
    I fish mainly for Flatheads in the spring, summer and fall. I use Large, Live Bluegills set out on bottom or on a floater. I love to fish a really big Bluegill and will try to set out about 3 or 4 poles....all with live bluegills. Either 2 on bottom and 2 on floats. This has landed me many good Flatheads and 2 this year over 40 lbs. One caught in April weighed 43.1 lbs and 1 caught in May which weighed 67.2 lbs and one of the guys I fish with named Griz landed a good 45 lber on live Bluegill this past spring.
    In the winter months....I switch locations and go back to the main river and fish for Big Bluecats. Last year on November 13, I landed a 47.9 lb Bluecat using a Bluegill Head. I love to use Bluegill heads as my favorite piece of cutbait. If I cant get Bluegills, I will use Skipjack strips to fish with. I like to put the guts on the hook first and then put a strip of skipjack meat on and cast it out as far into the main river channel as possible. I fish with several other BOC members every Tuesday night and we fish all night and into the next morning. This is also a very good channelcat bait. Bluegills " ROCK " and have my vote for the very best Catfish bait in the world. With shad and skipjacks as my back up baits. I do all my fishing from the bank and use 20 lb mono for all my catfishing needs. What part of Kentucky are you from?????:wink:

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Yes"
    :0a23:

I catch more Channel at this time of the year, so at this time of the year here in California, if I was using Bluegills as bait - I would use them as cut bait (Head Included), because of the water getting colder & the Cats are not to willing to chase it food to far, But in the when the water warms up (Summer Time) I would go with the hold "Live" Bluegill, because now that will chase down there more. The best size gill for that is one that is about the size of a credit card.
    :0a26:

I can be wrong, but that has work for me in the past.

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: (Shania:0010:)

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC Chris. You're gonna learn alot here, I'm sure, and share with us what you know.

Absolutely bluegills are good bait, probably the best in most waters if you're targeting the larger cats. The ones from the very same waters that you're fishing are the best; for one thing they'll live longer on the hook in the water they came out of, but I've wondered if there's not a scent or something that makes bait caught from the water you're fishing more attractive to the cats. I just know there's a difference between bluegill for bait caught from a pond and bluegill for bait from the river I fish. The river gills are definitely more hardy.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

You said it right Bro; When I go fishing for what ever type Channels,Blues or Flatheads ,The first thing I do when I get there is get the tub of wax worms and catch 20-30 or more Bluegill from 3-5" long then get the rest of the gear laid out and FISH!..

The real big gens get cut into strips, for channels and or hooked through the back 3/8" below the dorsal just past halfway back from his nose. for the Big Boys.:wink:

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I prefer live and freshly cut Bluegills for Flathead.

But for Blues they can't touch Skipjack Herring in my opinion.