BLUEGILL AS BAIT IN KANSAS?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by boombalaty, Jun 20, 2009.

1. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Is it legal to net bluegill in ks?

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Bait fish species include:

Minnow or carp family (Cyprinidae), sucker family (Catostomidae), top minnows or killifish family (Cyprinodontidae), shad family (Clupeidae), sunfish family (Centrarchidae), excluding black basses and crappie. Bait fish exclude any of those fishes specifically named by regulation as Kansas threatened or endangered species. Straight from KDWP!

So if I am reading this right bluegill are legal in a net. bluegill,warmouth etc. = sunfish?

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Depends on what game warden you talk to. I have netted them for bait and have been told it is and isn't legal by several different game wardens! :crazy:

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Here are a couple of links:

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Fishing-Regulations/Bait-Fish

http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Fishing-Regulations/Definitions/Bait-fish

Here is a link with what KS considers sportfish and they maybe used only if caught by legal methods and are under 12" in length and bigger then the length limit posted at the lake you are fishing.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Fishing-Regulations/Definitions/Sport-fish

They include green sunfish as sport fish however they are also included in the bait fish too as they are part of the sunfish family so I really don't know for sure.

bluegills are listed as sportfish

5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im gonna print that off and carry it with my fishing license.:wink:

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    This is not what you should print off

Sport fish: Northern pike, walleye, sauger, saugeye, yellow perch, striped bass, white bass, wiper (white bass/striped bass hybrid), black bass ( largemouth, spotted, and smallmouth), trout, channel catfish, blue catfish, flathead catfish, paddlefish, and panfish ( bullhead, black and white crappie, bluegill, redear sunfish, green sunfish, warmouth, and rock bass).

• Nets may not be used to take sport fish. Dip or cast nets (mesh no larger than 3/8-inch) and seines (mesh no larger than 1/4-inch) may​
    be used to take bait fish.

As here is legal bait:

LEGAL BAIT

Legal fish bait includes artificial lures, bait fish, prepared bait, vegetable materials, artificial bait, worms, salamanders, frogs, and crawfish. No species listed as threatened, endangered, or in need of conservation may be used as bait. Any LEGALLY TAKEN wildlife may be used, including sportfish of legal length taken by hook and line.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id say :confused2:, but have done it and would argue that it was if i got cought. BECAUSE BLUEGILL ARE DEFINED AS BOUTH (sport&bait) AND IT SHOULD BE TAKEN INTO CONTEXT THE INTENTION OF THE ANGLER! :tounge_out: if your doing it in a non high traffic aera for GW than i wouldnt worry. you could snag a rule book next time at walmart to keep with you. missouri's rules are written so mutch clearer :cool2: kansas should take notes.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Kansas law has remained vague on this topic for years because KDWP
    refuses to change the wording. Apparently they prefer to interpret
    that law in the field when they make citations. The safest way to
    handle this grey area is to catch sunfish by hook and line for bait.
    Unless you net them for sale as bait, you are not likely to be messed
    with unless the officer is having a bad day. Or is bored. Or doesn't
    like the cut of your jib. You get the picture, I'm sure.

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I asked this question 2 years ago at the fish and game night here in Topeka. I was told it was ok to net them and I was told to look at this link. The only rule that changes this is if the body of water has restriction placed on it.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Fishing-Regulations/Legal-Bait

and then click on bait fish this link

http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Fishing-Regulations/Definitions/Bait-fish

which reads
    Bait fish: Minnow or carp family (Cyprinidae), sucker family (Catostomidae), top minnows or killifish family (Cyprinodontidae), shad family (Clupeidae), sunfish family (Centrarchidae), excluding black basses and crappie, which may be used only if caught by hook and line. Bait fish exclude any of those fishes specifically named by regulation as Kansas threatened or endangered species.

That also cleared up the question on using Crappie too.
    "crappie, may be used only if caught by hook and line."

I know I have netted them several times last year and a time or two I was meet by a officer and nothing was said. Only thing they wanted to see is if I had any game fish in the net and how the fishing was.

10. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This has been very helpful to me as well, I've been netting bluegill along with rod and reel without any idea it MIGHT be illegal. Good to know that there's a good argument if I ever get questioned. Thanks!

11. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    So I havnt been using Crappie illegally.Good too here.

12. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i think he's talkin about throwin a cast net for bait fish Aj. he's being careful not to break any laws. Smart, last thang u need is a warden walkn up on ya with a fat fine.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    as long as your not using bigger than 12" live, i believe thats how the rules read "bait fish may not exceed 12" " i assume they are talking live bait sence they say any leagle sport fish or wildelife may be used as well. dont really care over 12 gets hard to cast lol :smile2: crappie make some d@m good bait cought my 2 biggest fish sat on 1 cut in half

14. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Largemouth bass can be decent as bait too, I have caught several flats on them. They will not struggle as long or hard as a good green sunfish or bullhead, but I have ponds that are way overpopulated with small bass that need some taken out to let the rest grow. I use the little bass sometimes and change bait more frequently to keep them lively. They are really easy to catch when I need bait fast, throw a little spinner and crank them in. I wish you could use bigger ones though, I would like to try bait over 12" for big flats, I don't think gar would bother them and they would struggle alot. Problem is I haven't found a good source for 2 pound carp yet.