Bluegill around cyprus trees

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by oldwhiskers, Feb 6, 2006.

1. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I have fished a lot for bluegill, and have generally always done well catching them around cyprus trees on crickets. I know that when I was young we would fish around a pier on ponds and catch them as soon as you could get your hook back in the water.

After reading some in the forum on the bluegill schooling, my question is when you start catching them around cyprus trees along the bank, should you stop moving down the tree line and just fish that area, or keep moving down the tree line? I have always fished down the tree line and fished the outer trees. Am I missing a lot of fish?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I do alot of that fishing in the summer in a small river close by. We go out in a canoe and tear 'em up...it's a blast!

There is alot of of cyprus trees where we fish, we just drift up and down the same stretches of the river throwing our bobbers right up agaisnt the cyprus roots. We go pretty fast and it works great for us. We just cast up ahead of the boat....sometimes we manage to get it where we drift at the same exact speed as our bobbers and we drift right beside the bobbers. That seems to work the best. But sometimes it's hard to do that, usually the boat goes past the bobber and we have to keep reeling in and casting back out. Eithier way we almost always tear them up. Also, I dont know what kind of water you fish....I mean it's probly different where you fish than where I fish. But rapala makes this little crayfish lure that works best of all! I have caught everything on it, mostly big bream but have also caught channel cats, bass, etc. We just troll them real slow right along the cyrpus roots, or "cyprus knees". Man, I will always remember my dad and I going up and down the river on warm summer mornings catching a bunch of bream......I look foward to it every summer.

Fish really are attracted to those cyrpus roots....not just bream but all fish. Seems like "Carp" in the river we fish like the cyprus roots alot....dosent surprise much. We are pretty much the only ones that fish that section of the river. There is really no easy access or anything, we made a little trail threw the woods and carry our canoe down there. I dont think anyone knows about it. Well there's a sandbar about 50 yards upstream of the spot. We canoe up to the sandbar and stand on it and cast down stream to that spot which is about 10ft deep. The channel of the river runs right against the bank on the side with the cyprus roots. It's a blast, we catch some real big channel cats out there alot of times.

Something else I find just kinda strange is how in the spring when the american shad, and herring, come into the river to spawn....is how they seem to really be attracted to those cyprus knees....esspecialy the american shad. Then the big Stripers that also come up in the river of course get attracted to the cyprus roots because of all the baitfish around them.

Good luck, Zakk:)

3. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Right after cats, shellcracker are my favorite fish to go after...and there's no place better than Santee Cooper in April and May to target big 2+ plus 'crackers.

4. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    ToonCat, those are some really nice ones in your avatar. I am getting cabin feaver now to get out and catch some bream and catfish. I just wish the weekend storms would let up so I could.

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Oldwiskers,
    we alwasys fish along a line of cypress until we get a bite and then back off and fish that hole till it runs slow and then ease on to find another. IMHO if there is one good one there are probably plenty more!

6. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    catsmith1,
    I was wondering if I was if I was missing a lot of the fish by staying on the move. I know that I usually ended up with a good mess of fish before they slowed down by just skimming the outer trees along a specific area that always did good for me. I just want to improve my fishing, especially for the slow days.