bluegill are gamefish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by RiverBuggy4x4, May 28, 2009.

1. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well went out with shane and another buddy and was going good till shane got his cast net out and was casting for shad and caught a gill well he gave it to the other buddy and brought it to me and i said if you want to use it throw it in the bucket....Well little did I know Dave Reese the dnr officer was standing at the edge of the woods watching this he come up was looking in the bait bucket and to my surprise bluegill are game fish he told shane that it is a class c misdeamenor and 160 dollar ticket (JAILTIME FOR A BLUEGILL NO WAY:crazy:) SO HE came up with a better idea he gave shane 3 trash bags and we helped him fill 3 trashbags of trash instead of shane going to jail:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: I'm sure shane will see this and come up with a more elaborate story:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    yup.. ive been questioned about bluegill too.. i was fishing with dead shad and live gills, the co asked where they all came from..

rod n reel of course:wink: as i would never do anything i wasnt supposed to do..

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've heard of this. The regulations state that you can't catch gamefish in a cast net, only by rod and reel.

That's all fine and dandy but no one has ever come up with a definition or list of Indiana game fish. It would make the rule much simpler if they had a specific list of game fish.

I do believe though that the rule only applies to public waters...so in theory you could cast net for anything you want from private waters.

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    but what about size limits for possesion? if someone was to catch small largemouth, from the pond in their backyard, could they use them for live bait in the rivers? ive always wondered about that one, so just threw em back..

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    There is a list of sport fish for the Ohio River. Bluegill are not on the list so I use them out of my cast not on the river. If I am fishing a lake, it doesn't take long to catch enough from around a dock.

Also, you can not use an undersized gamefish on public waters, even if it was caught from private waters.

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd agree with that. Otherwise it'd be your word against a suspicious CO, I don't think I have to tell you who'd win that arguement.

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I often will go out and cast net some shad and also catch some bluegills on rod and reel. I am so scared some warden will assume I netted the bluegills that I make sure that not only is the rod and real that I caught the bluegills on out on the boat with the same hook I used to catch them but I also have the bait out and available to show them.

I understand we need to have laws and everything but when people can go to jail because of using the wrong bait something is not right.

8. farbeyonddriven

farbeyonddriven New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So it is in fact okay to use the bluegills caught by rod and reel for bait purposes on any water?

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes you can use any fish as bait,as long as its caught legally and is within legal size limits to possess. you CAN also net bait from private waters. know the laws everyone and don't let the COs feed you their crap! they will push you around as far as you let them! :wink: remember, they have to prove your gilt too. i try to keep binoculars on me so i can spot the sneaky bass turds. one of my favorite tricks to play on a spying co(when i was smoking) was to remove the filter from a cig and act like its a joint. that really gets them coming in fast, for nothing. lol serves them right for spying on me i figured.

im glad he gave you brothers a break!

10. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    It would be alot more simpliar if the rules states it this way. "USING FRESH FISH FOR BAIT IS LEGAL", PERIOD!:eek:oooh:
    Lets skip the loopholes, PERIOD!:roll_eyes:

11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I had heard someone say that he caught a catfish on a tomato core.:confused2::cool2:

12. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    make sure that all the fish that you get stuck in the net out also. i seen a guy get a ticket for that once cause he left a couple in is net that he didnt bother getting out the last time. i think they got him for wanton waste.

13. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What we was told last night and its also in the book if you catch any fish on rod and reel its ok to use as bait you just cannot net any except minnows and you can use a minnow trap for creek chubs and crawfish and i got a secret spot in central indiana for skipsssss wooooooooohooooooooooooooooo:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think you would be hard pressed to find many people in Indiana who would call bluegill a gamefish. They've been the most preferred species to catch in Indiana for the last 30-40 years. Unfortunately, more people probably consider bluegill a gamefish than catfish.

15. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THATS JUST SAD
    :angry::angry::angry::angry:

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LMAOoooooooo! Now THAT is super funny stuff!!!!:smile2:

I've had him check my gills for hook marks.
    It's funny he'll enter stealth mode to catch someone with an illegal friggen bluegill , but won't do squat about illegal limblines and peeps selling fish to that mudhole pay pond right under his nose.... guess I'll have a little chat with 'em and set him straight:roll_eyes:

17. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Whoops! I need to do a better job reading, and writing my posts...I meant to say in that first line "I think you would be hard pressed to find many people in Indiana who wouldn't call bluegill a gamefish."

18. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    There is no size limits on bluegills and I think the posession limit is 25 a person per day. I use bluegills all the time for bait big and small. I catch them on rod and reel. I just use the cast net for shad. I also catch my creek chubs on the ultralight, seems to be more fun that way.

19. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am very glad you didn't get a ticket. I really don't like the idea of CO's issuing punishment (trash-pickup) instead of inforcing laws. Where will it end? I clean up litter anyway. I bet most of us do.

20. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ther bad part about it was that the CO Knows me on a personal level and still was giving me a hard time. I did catch the bluegill in the net but I didnt keep it. I ask my buddy to show it to Tony and Tony said throw it in the bucket!! If a netted fish dies its even worse!! there were 20 mexicans down there and some didnt have ID let alone licences and he wanted to mess with me over a bluegill I didnt even keep.. And did you know it is just as illegal to net SHAD!!!!????? It is!!!!! Only minnows and crayfish may be taken by means of castnet.. But as for the trash pick up! I will do that over jail time anyday.. Plus the mexicans had to clean it up too.. sucky part was they stayed all night and the next morning it was trashy again.. As for most picking up there trash, well not around here.. Its sad that they dont care!!!!!

Attached Files: