Bluegill a'plenty

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by gtbait, Sep 21, 2007.

1. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    For what it's worth, I was at the Schoolhouse ramp this week. There were schools of Bluegill working the shallow water midday. Could it be soon enough to tickle a flathead or two from shallow water off the bank? Perhaps a 'Gill fillet could pull in a channel at night? Speak up you AZ folks!

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    thne lower river near yuma has really been good lately for cats. been catching quite a few on gills here.
    gary

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey gary, you want to get togehter here in the near future and try and catch some flats? i am not working to much lately and i would like to head out one night this weekend and see what i can do. let me know.

4. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    Joey,,Gary,,I'm heading back down to Yuma on the 11th-14th of Oct. It's either Pichacho or one of the RV parks near the 4th Ave bridge. If either of you are interested I'll get in touch ahead of time. There are some very nice Flatheads down from the 4th ave bridge.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i thnk that would be good. i dont think i have anything going on, but i will no more when it gets closer. keep in touch, i would definately like to go and catch some nice flatties.

6. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    So how far is the ramp from the water now?

7. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    A long way for a 52 year old man with "hockey knees"! As best I could discern, 100-120 yards Zona. The tree's in the water are 10-20 feet from the bank. Not too far if you're carrying bank gear. A little long to tote a canoe or car topper. My thoughts are a float tube and some dip bait until you catch enough Bluegill for bait.
    Here's an interesting side note; I saw lion tracks in a mud hole not far from the water's edge. Just the thought alone would keep me aware of my reel clicker through the night.

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i just replaced the water pump in boat today. died last night about 2 miles or so upriver from squaw. (nice float downriver. :0a17::0a17:) want to take out during day first and try for sure. runs good in driveway, but???
    i'll keep in contact with you.
    gary

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    ralph (gtbait) next month sounds good to me right now. if picacho, that's another thought. too many sand bars for me to run the river up, and i won't pull the boat up that road. last two times i did, i spent the next 2-3 days tightning all the loose nuts, bolts and screws up on boat and trailor. let me know before you come and will see if we can set up something.
    hopefully, joey can make it also.
    gary

10. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    That Picacho road stems the flow of the water skiiers and keeps the resident flatheads safe and content. I've towed my 30' 5th wheel up there a couple of times. Each trip of 22 miles takes a good 2 hours. It's a pretty drive yet can wreak havoc on a trailer. I do like fishin the section of river below the bridge. Once you've located the deeper holes you've got that entire 4 mile section of river to the Cocopah bend fingered out. Granted at night it's a good idea to keep your eyes open for the "Mexican Navy" and a few smugglers. Ok, enough out of me, it's time to go fishin.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    hey sgt fishslayer, you should still have my phone number. call me. i'm taking to boat out to mittry tomorrow to check it out and adjust carbs. then maybe if i can catch some gills, the river tomorrow nite again for hopefully some flats. i head in by 2200 at latest unless fish are going crazy on me. (hasn't happened yet.)
    gary

12. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    hey gary. sorry about that, i didnt get this posting until this morning (monday). my internet has been on the fritz at the house and the old lady decided she wanted to go out to Julian on saturday. this coming weekend i will definately give you a call.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hey Sgt Fishslayer, and tofish..... Making some thoughts on comming down to martinez say maybe fri the 19th of Oct...... now that the heat is down some.... have to check with Plumbertom to see if he would like to go.... Have thoughts to pick my way through the sand bars, and head up to Piccacho for a sat night camp out......What you say....?

Bayrunner Ray

14. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    might be able to work something out. just found out that one of the guys i have served with for 5 years is getting out and having a going away on saturday, so i am not doing anything this weekend. but this is far enough in advance to where i should be able to do something on the 19-20 of october. keep me posted and i will do the same.

SSgt Walsh

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    might be willing to try if team boating. but you might have to slow down a little for my little motor. LOL
    gary

16. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    my boat wont work out there. seeing as how my wife wanted a wakeboard boat and she usually gets what she wants, thats what i have. but i can drive out to piccacho where the boat ramp is and meet you guys there.

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    if this works out and we don't have to haul a lot of stuff, you can ride up with me if i run up in boat.
    gary

18. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    hey sounds good to me. i will definately keep you posted if anything pops up

19. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    We'll make it work out ok..... I'd have to run slow to check out the bars, etc. hate to see you drive all the way up and not be able to help get us unstuck if needed....maybe riverbudd would join us... down from Blythe (on the road that is)

bayrunner ray

20. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    SHOOT WE MIGHT AS WELL MAKE THIS A SOUTHWEST GATHERING! :big_smile: I SAY THE MORE THE MERRIER, INVITE EVERYONE THAT CAN MKE IT OUT AND SEE WHO SHOWS UP.