Bluegill and Hooks

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Leakyboat, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Anybody know what the smallest circle hook you can buy is?Do you think they would work the same on Bluegill(perch-we call everything a perch around here)?Hopefully in a red hook too!
    LeakyBoat

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Leakyboat,I was thinking the same thing. I would like to try circles on bream. :D

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Bass Pro Shops has the Owner "Mutu Light circle Hook" in red size 6 and 4 for $2.49 a pack. I've never used them and really don't know just how small these sizes are. I've always just used a "cricket" hook. However, I think you may be on to something there Leakyboat !

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey, If you can't find any, just get a small Eagle Claw hook, (the kind that bends easy) and bend the point in the shape of a circle hook and see if it works.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Catfish Connection has Eagle Claw circles in size 6. I think they are 10 for $2.50. Work like a champ for bluegills. No more gut hooks, well not nearly as many anyway. LOL

6. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I was a real hard-head when our good friend Sci-fi tried to convert me to circle hooks. I did finally agree to try some on bluegill.

Small circle hooks for bluegill are the only way to go. Especially for kids that have trouble setting the hook and for those times you want the bluegill for bait. I would say that I get maybe 1% of them deep hooked in a way that injures them. I have also increased my hookup rate. The fish hook themselves for my young grandson. He just grabs the pole and reels them in.

Size 6 Eagle claw Circle hook (model 702 I think), no sinker or split shot, wax worm for bait all under a small bobber.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    My friend "Deltalover" had me try some Circle Hooks, (Size #8 & #10) on some Bulegills, and I have to say that they work real good. :006:

Since Bulegills like to hit your bait hard & swim away from the other fish in the school - it's the perfect hook for that. :)

Bert :cool:

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Think a lot depends on the size of gills your are catching too. With small gills for bait, a long shank in sizes 8-12 seems to work best for me. I've not used the circles yet, no one local carries much smaller than a 2, so will have to order. When fishing for big gills...7" and larger, I use a long shank mustad that's off set in size 6. Seldom gut hook and with the long shank, its easier to get the hook out if they swallow too deep.

9. Damar12

Damar12 New Member

Amen to the long shank no. 6 hook for bluegill.

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Like Bryan posted. Catfish connection has the eagle claw circle hooks for bluegills. I have used them and they are the best for catching gills. I love them. Bluegills can steal a worm faster than anything. With the little circle hook they hook them selves. Try them you wont use anything else.
    By the way I use red wigglers because I have a bunch in my cow lots. They work great also.

11. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I'll have to give some circle hooks a try on bluegill next spring. I've used circle hooks mostly on larger fish (bass and catfish). Thanks for the info.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just bought some number 2 octopus circles do you think those would be to big for bluegill.I bought them just for bluegill but i dont know if they would be to big.its hard to tell since everyone that makes hooks makes them different sizes even though they say the same size.What do you guys think?

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've been using size 8 snelled Eagle Claw circle hooks for crappie fish. I bought them at Dick's Sporting Good on sale for $.39 a pack, I think I bought like 20 packs, all they had either way. They work great for crappie and I'm sure they would do a fine job for bluegill.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    smallest i've seen is atleast a size 10 by Gama... though i seem to recall eagle claw makes them down to 12 or 18 don't know... ummm but i use a size 6 or 4 of eagle claws and they work well for sunnies, got them for dirt cheap too for a fishing camp i work at in the summer

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Circle hooks for bluegill and crappie, cant be beat!
    Putting a worm on a number 8 circle hook is a challenge for me, but it sure produces fish!

16. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm going to order me some and try them out this year.

17. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yeah getting a worm on a size 8 circle is a bit of a challenge but they stay on. I've been using them with minnows mostly its a lot easier to hook a minnow.

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have found that #8 Eagle Claw Kahle work greatfor me.I can not feel a bite,and they just hook themselves.Crickets or worms.peewee-williams

19. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, guess I'm gonna have to order some and try them out.

20. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I never even thought of circles for bluegills hmmmmm.....I will have to try that out.