Bluecat last Saturday

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Whistler, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Last Saturday Bob(Kittycatcher) and I went out for a few hours. The River is cooling, but still no real current. There are some fish moving though. We've been anchoring some jugs down with live bluegills on them, just to find some good flathead spots. Last Saturday night we caught a 27 lb Blue on a Jug made from one of Gene's kits. I always release everything over 10 lbs when we get them photographed and weighed, but this fish was hooked weird. The hook lodged in one of his gils from the inside of his mouth. When we got the hook out the fish bled out within just a few minutes. Got the fish in the boat, dislodged the hook and it was dead before we could get it on the scales. The fish is already stone dead in the picture. If you've ever field dressed a deer and have seen how the blood will coagulate and turn to gel, that's what was on my deck after we were through. Two globs of gelled blood about the size of a red brick. I've neve had this happen before. We fileted the fish so it didn't exactly go to waste, but this fish should have gone back into the river. Anyway, here's a pic of the fish. We wiped all the blood off for the pic, or it would have looked really bad.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      34.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Bryan What time is the fish fry? I'll bring the Barley Pop's. J.D.:wink:

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Thats a great looking Blue. Congrats. :wink:

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    good looking blue. how deep do you fish them jugs.

5. Whistler

State:
    TN
    They were right along the bank in about 15 foot of water behind some downed trees. Kind of slack water even if we did have some current right now. They were anchored down with the hook about two feet above the bottom. It's a great way to find new fishing spots.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good looking fish bryan. As for loosing it you can't win them all can we.
    Had that to happen to a 30#lber once.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nice fish Bawana. Must have cost a fortune off the truck. LOL!

8. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Naw, we convinced him to put it on DH's account! LOL

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bryan, thanks for the tip. Dad and I are gonna give em' a try tomorrow. We've been scouting the Cumberland above Cheatham Dam around Ashland City. There is a nice ramp there with a dock and it's only about a 25 min. drive for us. We figure with no generation at Cheatham, why not try some other areas of the river.

10. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Nice fish, Its a shame it didnt make it, But I imagine after a good soaking in water and Joanne's good cooking it'll be some good eating,,,
    Shoot I wished I could go fishing, I have been laid up for two weeks with a messed up knee, My little dog ran under my foot as I was getting outta the shower and I landed on my right leg folded under me, Had to get a Ambulance to come and collet me off the floor, I'll probably be laid up till the last of november.

11. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Tom,
    Thats kinda bad to have to be cooped up for that long.:sad2:
    we are having our "HOMECOMING REVIVAL"soon and maybe I will come and see how the old knee is coming along.
    Ole Brian is relly happy about that catch.I think he's tempting us all.

12. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    that sounds good Mr,Smith. How have you been getting along

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    bryan that is a nice fish.A little corn mill and that a good supper.:wink:

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice fish man, I don't hold it against you some of them are going to die.

15. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    I have been doing much better.I thought I was done for as for my fishing.But I have been doing some bluegill fishing and its getting better.

the kids bought me a 7000ic3.Thats a beautiful thing .I sure hope we can try it out this fall.
    The church is looking for another pastor [by my request] and that will relieve me and we can get back down home and live for awahile.But what ever the outcome is we are planning a trip down there.
    mr smith

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    REAL NICE....wouldn't feel bad about loosing it as long as you are gonna eat it........

17. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    You always hate to lose the big ones but somehow you start to feel better when you hear the cooking oil start to splatter......nice fish. Never tried the jugs, sounds fun.

18. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    nice blue thanks for sharing:big_smile:

19. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Bryan hope you are doing well. I bet you got some nice fillets out of that blue.
    Hi Tom, sorry to hear about your knee buddy. Hope you have a speedy recovery. I will see you at the international gathering next year.

Jaime

20. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Tom, that's a real nice fish. Thanks for the picture!