Blueback Herring

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by germanmudfish, Jun 24, 2008.

1. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I am fortunate enough to live on the right side of the dams to use blue backs. Any adivce on the closest place to purchase nice, LARGE herring in the Middle GA area? Suggestions on specifics about keeping the critters alive would also help. Thanks, Ronnie

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    hey ronnie the only place I've heard of selling live bluebacks near here is up at lanier at the damstore baitshop. Now there is a baitshop/corner store on your way to work or back that sells frozen bluebacks. I've never tried them around here. bluebacks aren't in the oconee watershed. I'm not saying they won't catch fish, but I would rather have shad. Now that store is off of pea ridge on the backway from town. If you were coming this way you would turn right at that stop sign at the cross section of the BP and the Mexican restaurant. Go about a quarter mile and take your first left that is a main road. That store will be on your left. And as far as keeping some shad or any kind of herring alive with this warm water down here....good luck. Unless you want to spend some money on a good tank with good filteration and isnulation it's nearly impossible to keep shad alive in this heat. Now in the wintertime when the water temps are down in the low 60's to low 50's i can keep a dozen of big gizzard shad alive in a 5 gallon bucket with some air all day long. At this time of year though you're better off throwing your shad right on ice for cutbait, or if you can net them at your fishing hole you can put them right on a hook and they will be just fine. If you want me to freeze you a big bag of shad let me know......I can catch a bucket full up here at my spot if I go first thing in the morning right before the sun comes up...............bassmassey

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Man that would be great. I will ltry the bluebacks one day. I could try and get my son to bring some half way from Augusta. They use them in the savannah river and Clarks hill all the time. Do you think a flattie would turn his nose up to a blue back herring? Maybe we can try them this fall and/or winter when the water cools down. By the way, I pulled the river up on Google earth and there is a curve just down from where we were fishing. I was trying to find the boat ramp, but the photos are too old and the topo maps look like they were drawn by grade school kids. I am sure they are accurate, but not real pretty. Good luck this weekend by the way. Go out there and slay them, I may try the river in macon Sunday night.

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I think the store you are refering to is the one with the good pizza. I will check it out on the way home Friday. Thanks brother.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    if you're on your way to town coming from the hotel you take a left at the mexican restaurant and go down a lil ways until the next left. They have a free air hose too....which is hard to find these days. The only two I know of are there and the home depot gas station. I finished up on my boat this afternoon and took it out at the marina across the street. ran around the lake for about an hour. runs like a champ..little rough in choppy water...but when i got out of the wind it was nice n smooth.....bassmassey

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    i'm going to drown bait somewhere in Macon this weekend so I can say that I spent time with Catfish and the Empress. Good Luck this weekend and leave the camera at home LOL.:wink:

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks
    There are a few places you can get blue backs, Dam store, 2 Hammounds crossing at hammounds bait and tackle, 3 Sportsman lounge in oakwood.

You can get a mix of stuff to take out impurities of the water and use non cholrine ice and it helps alot to keep them alive.

I hope that helps you out!

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Brian,

Could you tell me where two oaks and hammond are located? Thanks,

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hammonds Bait & Tackle is located in Cumming, GA at the corners of Hwy 306 & 369 about 1 mile off GA-400. The Oakwoods Sportsman Lounge is located on Mundy Mill Road in Oakwood, GA not too far from I-985.

10. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I have located frozen herring here in M'vile as well as Rooster Liver, squid, and large shad minnows (7.99 a dozen!!!!??):cool2:. Bobby Scoggins BP number 2 on US 441 near lake sinclair. Woo-hoo:big_smile::big_smile: