Blue Worms for Bluegills

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Indigo Flats, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Back in the late '50's and early '60's we fished with Blue Worms here in South Carolina. They were sort of blue and thicker than red worms. I haven't seen any in years. Does anyone remember these or know anything about them?

2. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I must admit that I've never heard of blue worms. I had to do an internet search to see what they were. I've fished with blue plastic worms but that is it. Do these seem to work better?

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    They sure worked back then. Again, they were thicker and didn't wiggle as much as red worms when you put them on a hook.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I think we've grown too lazy. Back when I was growing up, we fished exclusively with blue worms or wigglers; the only way to get blue worms was to go out in the woods, a damp swampy area, and dig them yourself. Eventually we could buy red worms and then nightcrawlers, even waxworms, and the blue worms are now enjoying a life of contentment, free from interruption. :wink:

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you go to where you know there is some of these worms and crank up a chain saw just let it sit on the ground and run the worms will crawl out of the ground and you just pick them up.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've heard of "fiddling" for them and drumming on a sappling, etc. The chain saw trick is a new one for me!

I was standing around a riverbank with some fidgety boys a few weeks back. One of them was standing on a little sappling stump and tugging and kicking on the small tree next to it. After a little bit I looked down and there were a couple of blue worms that had come up out of the ground. I tried one for bait, but no luck. I don't blame the worm, though. It was late February - and there were about a dozen boy scouts clomping around me on the bank. Not exactly ideal conditions.

7. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Blue Worms must be a low country thing.

I dig worms here for fishing in my ponds but never have seen one. The only ones I ever saw was traveling from Columbia (where I was raised) to Santee and stopping at the bait shops and buying them. If I ever find them again I will fix a place here to raise them.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think they like the soil real wet. Those that I saw recently came right up out of the river bank - like a few inches from the water.

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Are you in the low country of SC? What river were you on?

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That was on the Edisto avove I95 (South of St. George on a map). I guess that qualifies as "Low Country."

I swear I remember finding some of the same worms as a kid in Rhode Island, too. And I think it was real wet soil right around the pond where I used to play and hang out and fish.

11. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    That's "low country". Thanks for the information!

12. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Blue Worms back in the 60s, that explains alot! LOL:big_smile:

13. Edisto Catman

Edisto Catman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just dug a whole bunch of them this past weekend. You just have to look for them in very wet soil.

14. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I have heard from a number of sources that the blue worms are without a doubt the bait of choice for Santee shellcrackers. A few guides have told me sometimes you can buy them in low country bait stores.....just hit and miss. That said, and using the reach of the great BOC, if any members see any for sale anywhere in SC, please post and let us know where. Those shellcrackers are about due....heck I'm heading for Santee this weekend. I'd like to try some of them out.

15. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    I have never heard of those be 4 i guess i will have to try that to see if it works cuz we need the bluegills 4 the big cats

16. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Good luck!

All the bait shop sold them back in the '60's and bream loved them. As I have previously posted they are thicker and easier to bait than red worms or wigglers.

17. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    here in missouri back in 93 during the great flood we always saw them just beyond the waterline when we were sandbagging. there are also a greenish worm called a field worm anyone ever use these?