Blue Springs Lake and Lake Jacomo Fishing Spots

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Jrmonaco, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Jrmonaco

Jrmonaco New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Yall,
    I'm new to these forums and was hoping this just might be the thing to turn my luck around. I've been fishing Lake Jacomo and Blue Springs Lake for as long as I can remember and have always had relatively good luck. But here lately seems like I can't get a bite. I usually do most of my fishing out of a boat but here lately I've been spending 3 or 4 nights a week out with some buddies fishing off the bank. None of us are having hardly any luck. I've mostly been fishing the Blue Springs Dam, around Liggett cove, and off Colbern Road by the beach and the non motorize boat lanch area. I've been using freshly cut chub minnows and perch, night crawlers, and chicken livers. But nothing seems to be biting. Now I'm not asking for anyone to give up their honey holes but maybe a suggestion or two of where some good bank fishing spots are. I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    bro, i think the bite is just off right now, its not your bait. i got skunked on that very lake on last week[jacamo] ,not even abite. wish i had time to fish that place more. looks like a good fishery. the bite should pick up closer to the new moon. the fish are there, thats for sure. by the way, welcome to the Boc.

3. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    I know it seems weird but i can never seem to get a good bite when i use weights out there. In the summer i catch alot of fish on windless nights. I put a big ol hunk of liver on and let it float to the bottom, they love hotdogs out there too.Use a treble hook with a snap on swivle so you can slide the treble hook through the hot dog each time you rebait to help it stay on better. Most of the fish out there are good sized channels so those baits work verywell. When I go out there I dont use the, I must have shad and perch mentality like you would use for blues and flathead but they are nice to have, and there are some nice flathead in there. I just bait a pole with each bait and find out what they are liking best.

4. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ty fishing under a bobber with live perch or Liver. Fish in deep water. We have been doing good on the dam at jacomo about 8 feet down in 20+ feet of water after dark.

5. EVERETT

EVERETT New Member

State:
    mo.
    ANOTHER NEWBIE HERE.Just wanted to say HEY and tell you all about this method of catching cats I stumbled on to a few years ago at BLUE SPRINGS LAKE. We were eating on a pontoon and threw bread in the water and saw cats suface and eat it,So for years now around June & July I will go out there spread bread all around the boat and wait for them to surface (I mean hammer the surface)then with a ultralite a small hook and a corner of a piece of bread I cast where I see them surfacing.I went out Monday for the fisrt time this year to try it & only seen a half a dozen surface but I caught a 6 & 8 pounder.Sounds strange but has been working for me for years now only in June & July and then it goes away till next year.If you see me out there in a red Tracker stop and say hey I'll show you what I mean.....

6. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Welcome to the boc To both of you. I personally havnt had much luck out at bs lake latley i just fished Lakewood the other day with chicken liver's with one nice hit but no hookset. If i try to bottom fish at bluesprings lake i wont get any bites but if i do a bobber setup on a calm night ill get hits. If the Bite picks up in eastern jackson co let us know :wink:

7. kurtk

kurtk New Member

State:
    Independence
    It's been real slow out at Jacomo lately. :angry:
    I've always fished mostly over by Liggett cove, and had really good luck. I keep saying I'll try other parts of the lake, but I haven't really put in the time to try them out. There is a nice big cover on the north west corner of the lake, anyone got anything to say about that one? Might try it one of these days.

My friend's dad was out at Hillsdale on Monday and tore it up, came back full up on cats. It's just really wierd how the spawn can be different in different lakes and what not.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    We're getting quiet a group here. Maybe time for a mini gathering. I haven't fished BS Lake. To many lake lice and big boats that stay out till dark or later. Have fished Jacomo since it opened and it is a hit and miss lake. Always catch channel while crappie fishing. Tryed drifting it last year and did fairly well. Gonna be trying that real soon again.
    Lets all get together some night or evening.

9. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    JC I agree with you there on the gathering. You mention it so I vote that you be the one that take's care of everything.:wink: I'll help with anything you need help on, just give me a call.

10. kurtk

kurtk New Member

State:
    Independence
    Name the night fellas, and I'm there. Just please don't schedule it on a weeknight. :wink:

11. Jrmonaco

Jrmonaco New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm usually out there on any free night I get. No tellin which lake I'll be at though, me and my lil bro never decide until we're out there. Usually depends on how crowded spots are. But we'll be easy to spot; I've usually got the biggest and brightest lantern out there. Thanks for the tips guys, I usually fish the bottom, but I'll give the bobber a try the next time I'm out. Not sure if I'll be able to get out there tonight so most likely I'll have to wait till tomorrow night. I'll be sure and let yall know how it went.
    Thanks again,
    Jeremy

12. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I smell a catfish'n tourney:tounge_out:
    Im up for a get together. Heck I'll be out there this Friday and Saturday nights, maybe, for sure Friday but we may goto Maple Leaf Saturday.
    I went drifting with catfish safari last year and liked it so much I went and got a drift sock. I have only done it a couple time and had no luck yet.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  13. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    From what i hear there are certian times of year that are better for it than others, blue jay can steer you in the right direction, that is right up his ally.

14. kurtk

kurtk New Member

State:
    Independence
    Alright BlueJay... you brought it up. How about we get something going this weekend? :big_smile:

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    This weekend doesn't work for me. You guys go ahead and pick a date (later) and I'll probably be able to make it.
    1. Date
    2. List of who is coming
    3. People who have a boat
    Lets get this started and go from here!!

16. colonelsanders

colonelsanders New Member

State:
    missouri
    Im interested! let me know, only fished there once(no luck)but does look to be a nice lake. Gonna try Maple Leaf this weekend too, hopefully some be some action there!!

17. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishing should be good this weekend a Maple, but the moss is THICK. The other evening cat were biting on rubber worms!

18. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Im in
    Im open most weekends
    gotta boat

19. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Im in AnyTime since my brother lives up at 40 and woods chappel behind dells honda :wink: i have No Boat tho :sad2:

20. Jrmonaco

Jrmonaco New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mom pitched a fit last night so I didn't get a chance to go out. I'm headin out there tonight though. I'm going to try to get a spot by the spill way off Liggett. If its packed like usual I'll settle for the Blue Springs Dam. If anyones headin out there tonight I'll prolly have the biggest and brightest lantern out there. If you see a silver Grand Cherokee in the lot feel free to stop by and say hello.
    Jeremy