Blue River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by cat4life, Aug 17, 2005.

1. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Hey Guys anyone catch anything fishin the Blue? I have only fished there a few times so maybe you guys could give me some pointers as to where they are and what to use. I think I'm gonna go back out there soon and I would like to know more of where to fish for flatties and channels.

2. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Cat4live: Skyler, youdidn't say where on the Blue River you're fishing. Awhile back, Jonesy and his brother stopped by going to fish down river from the bridge just East of Hwy 24. When they stopped by on their way back, they had a 10lb Channel and a 30+lb Flathead, they spent the night and caught them on bank lines with live bait.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I fish a tributary of the blue, which means that cats come in from it. All I have used to catch them is liver, but they go after it like its no tomorrow here.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Travis, are you talking about the Blue River in Johnson County? I fish Indian Creek some, which runs into the Blue in south KC. it's got a lot of litte channel cats, my biggest is about 3lbs, but I've seen bigger ones come out of it.

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Indeed, Gary, I was talking about the Blue in JC/Missouri. I fish a little ways off of it sometimes, and I have pulled up channel cats up to eight pounds in this tributary.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I saw a guy down there (Indian Creek) the other night with a bucket of little channels that he was catching on hotdogs.. I'm not sure I would have been keeping fish from those waters, but his bait was sure working. Another BOC member, Dave Aggus, has pulled some nice flatheads out of the Blue River itself. I don't expect to catch any monsters, but it's sure fun to fish the little streams once in awhile.

7. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Blue River that runs around the Blue River Road is where I have fished. Over two years of fishing there the biggest channel that I caught was 5+lb, Flathead range from 4lb to 17.5lb with an ave of 7.5lb. Blue cat was only one and it was 7.5lb. To be honest I was alittle surprise to get the 17.5lb but it gives me hope that there might be one bigger in there. All of my cats was caught on cut bluegill or live gills. And usually at my favorite spot I could catch one and most of the time three at the least and they are around 7.5lb. (execpt when Gary when fishing out there with us). Mcflat/Mike was out there with us when my friend pulled a 10lb out of there. Last year I caught a 17.5, 11 (same night), 10 (friend caught that), 9lb and alot 7.5 to 4lb there. If you find some area that gets little or no fishing pressure with good cover and a good hole then it will produce. Just have to be there when it does.

Dave

8. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Forgot to say. One of my friends use livers on the Blue and he got some 2-3lb channel but got about 3 to 5. So if fishing for channel then I would say go with liver and if that does not work switch to cut/live bluegill. If I could figure out how to post pics then I will try to post afew from last year on the Blue.

Dave

9. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    when out about two or three weeks ago and nothing. I was getting very worried that I would not see a flathead this year. We went last friday night and I got 3 bites and on fish. A 10lb flat and I was very happy. Hopefully the bite will pick back up now if the cold front doesn't shut them down.

Dave

10. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    congrats on the flat, you think the cold front will still effect the fish on friday or saterday. i dont think it will but you never know. hopefully the cold front will turn them on

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dave, Congrats on the nice flathead. Hopefully we are in for some good fall fishing.

12. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ya, I hope the fish will be turned on for some fall feeding. Hey Gary we need to get together for alittle fall fishing when I get the time.

Dave

13. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My work schedule is wed,thur, fri and half aday on sat. I shoot pool on tues night and sometimes on sunday night. If any want to get together for alittle fishing just let me know.

Dave

14. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Dave
    Where do you shoot pool at? My old boss shoots pool a lot, he has been to Vegas a time or two for tournments.

chris

15. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sidepockets on Noland road in Independence. My team last season won the division. So now we are trying to keep up the good work and hopefully do good in the City Tournment. I am not that good of a player but my team is pretty good. I play for the fun and as something else to do. I really need to pratice more. So if anyone wants to play drop me a line. I am no pro and I have not been to Vegas but some of the guys up there have.

Dave