Blue River in Kansas

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by barbel, Feb 21, 2006.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Does anyone fish the Blue River that runs from Olathe over up to the Missouri River? I have a little bit of it by my house and I wanted to know if anyone had any success fishing for flats in it. I catch channels out of it all the time, but Im not so sure about flatheads though. Thanks in advance :D

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats the first Ive ever heard of the Blue River running out of Olathe:confused:
    Never fished it though , would like to. :)

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've fished it on the Missouri side, between State Line and Red Bridge Road. While I don't have much to show for it, another member, Dave Aggus, has caught several flatheads up into the teens there. I'm not sure it has enough water further upstream to support too many big fish, but it might be worth a try if you can find some bigger pools.

4. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hey dude whats going on. we have to drive down there sometiem and catch them flats out-a there. well this summer and spring atleast. kk i call you later man. peace :D

5. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    also how do i bring my rank up? send me a private message back cause i need them so i can start sending peeps messages

6. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    The way your bring your rank up is depending on the number of post, the more you post the higher in rank you go

chris

7. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    kk thanks chris.. you from kansas

8. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Yes I am from Kansas but I am currently in the Marine Corps, I will be back around May for a short time then be back for good in Sept/Oct time frame.

chris

9. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I've often wondered whether there was any good fish in the Blue river I think I'll have to try it this year.

10. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess my post got deleted from this note. I have fished the Blue River on the Mo side around Red Bridge down to Kenneth Road (151st Street dependin on what side you are on). The biggest flat I have caught out of there is 17.5lb with some in the 10 or 11lb. I even caught a Blue out of there that weighted 7.5lb. So if your fishing there don't be surprised if you do pull a Blue out. (Since Mo changed the rules on channel and blue limits). I mainly use live bluegills about 4" to 6" and have caught all species on that bait. But if you are going for just channel then I would suggest livers. They will tear up chicken livers. (Well they have for me anyways) I have even caught white crappie, smallmouth bass, gar and drum. My ave weight on channel is about 5lb, my ave for flathead is 7lb to 8lb and the few blue is 5lb to 8lb. If anyone has any questions then please feel free to ask. I will try to answer them. Also I have been fishing at the Blue for about 10 years off and on. In the last three years I have hit is hard.

Dave

11. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well Dave, I am only about 10 miles away from that spot, and if you caught flatties that big up that far, then there are probably some smaller ones up where I am. Thats good to know. And actually the pools around here can get some good forms of deep, and there is plentiful cover around, so I wouldnt doubt if they are here. I think I will try out some crawdads and some little sunfish or bluegills, maybe a little smaller than what youre using. Only problem with that though is that there are b@$$ that will eat em too :rolleyes:

12. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you are on the MO side and you want a fishing buddy then let me know. Usually Sat or Sun night is best for me. If you are on the KS side then also let me know so I can get my KS license and I will be willing to fish with ya. My time off is after 2 on sat, sun, mon, tues usually and on the Blue I have found that fishing at night works best.

Dave