Blue River Conditions

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by newtothesport, Mar 17, 2009.

1. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Hey everyone...... I went out fishing yesterday for the first time of the year. Brought the girlfriend out and you guessed it she out did me. We went to the dam on the blue river thats just southeast of Milford. We fished the southeast side of the dam in the larger eddy and casted up by the dam. She caught one fish less than a pound and had a ton of bites. I am heading out again today to give it another try, and bringing some smaller trebble hooks. I was out yesterday around 4pm and the bite stopped around dark. Also I heard that another good access point is behind the Seward rest area. I will try to get the pic of her first cat on here tonight. Hope this can help out anyone with lip-rippin fever! Good luck to all.

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Where did you catch that cat in your picture? That looks like Branched Oak behind you.

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    yeah i heard there is some good fishing over there.... i know a guy that used to fish that river alot before he had kids.. he told me down by barneston was his favorite spot.. the miford dam was a good flathead spot as well.. i always wanted to go out there and try it.. what bait did you use

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Luke! Glad to see your back on! Good luck fishing! I'm trying my luck at Johnson Lake this weekend. Hoping I might latch into something nice. Got the fishing bug, so that gives me an excuse to try my luck.

Take care Luke!!
    Mark..

5. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I was using night crawlers. The cat in my pic was caught at branched oak last fall on the pier by the marina. Thanks to big vic and bownero and will for teaching me so i could catch something so nice. Caught him on a 6" gill.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Your hooked on catfishing now LUKE!! Nice fish in the Avatar!! WTG!:wink:

7. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Great job Luke!! next time ya hit the river give me a yell,or any where else maybe we can hook up for a while.:cool2::smile2:

8. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Went out fishing yesterday (sunday) on the blue river at the Milford Dam. I was getting tons of bites but no takers so i rerigged with smaller hooks and some splitshots. Then i was reeling em in! Only down fall was that they were babies with milk in their mouths yet. The largest fish was ten inches long. Caught 5 cats total. I hope to get out to Branched Oak lake and get after something a lil bit larger.

9. cfishman

cfishman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I fish quit a bit of the Blue River - Beatrice, Holmesville, Wymore, Barnestone. My luck with nightcrawlers has been small fish. Not endorsing a product here but, Wicked sticky seems to work well, other than that use live bait. Plenty of flatsheads in that river. Once again its location, location, location. Find brush piles and fish slow water behind them.

10. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Have you been having luck this year with some larger fish yet? Have you been using gills or golds? I like fishing that river its so quite and smaller so its not nearly so intimidating! Little tough to find a nice spot up here around lincoln not many public access points other than bridges.

11. cfishman

cfishman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Haven't fished yet this year:eek:oooh:. Was getting the bug about 2 days ago, but todays weather......
    Haven't had much luck personally with gold fish, gills have been successful with. More dang snapping turtles in that river!!
    I fish around lowhead dams, bridges. I dont walk to far, or go through much brush to find a good spot, got this fear of rattlesnakes thing going on right now!

12. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    The blue river is my favorite fishing spot in the state of Nebraska. I fish it by Beatrice and I walk it and use set poles. I fish with nothing but gold fish and usually catch nothing but 5 lbs or better. Of course they (the goldfish) are always 6 inches or longer. The flatty's and blue's love em. I've lost more set lines down there than any other river in the state. I love to catch some of them that are taking my set lines. I'm hoping to fish in the four man tourney this year. I missed it last year due to a job change and a move but this year I'm hoping to find some of the washers that the locals sank down there and catch some big un's. I know they are in there too. My little brother lives down there and told me someone caught a 60 pounder last year down by the city park.