The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
834 Posts
I about went crosseyed counting the rays on the anal fin, Good pic by the way. Looks like a blue to me. Nice fish!

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
112 Posts
Beats the heck outa my first blue. Your bait was probably bigger than the fish I caught.
(See the thread: Record smallest blue)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Unlike Neill, I didn't do the proper counting of the anal ray ribs, but it has a blue head and it appears to be a female and they are often a much lighter color than the old bull blues.

Nice first blue cat for sure!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Boy am I glad to hear that. Been catching nice cats out of the John Day near home and everyone told me they were channels. But I'd read, probably here that blues hit harder than channels and these guy were absolutely smashing the bait. I've been pretty sure they are blues we are catching. Something about Oregon, it is not the home of many cat fishermen! But I'd though blues had a square tail and these don't. Photo is my little fishing buddy holding a 6 pounder we shared. I hook them and he reels them in!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Boy am I glad to hear that. Been catching nice cats out of the John Day near home and everyone told me they were channels. But I'd read, probably here that blues hit harder than channels and these guy were absolutely smashing the bait. I've been pretty sure they are blues we are catching. Something about Oregon, it is not the home of many cat fishermen! But I'd though blues had a square tail and these don't. Photo is my little fishing buddy holding a 6 pounder we shared. I hook them and he reels them in!

That is a channel

·
Registered
106 Posts
You're fishin buddy appears to be holding a channel cat but the other is definitely a blue. Blues have a forked tail but not as deeply forked as a channel cat. Bullheads and flatheads have the squared off tail. Nice catches for sure.

·
Administrator
10,464 Posts
Learning is what the site is all about Don. Your just learning what many of us just grew up with.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback guys! Same fish in both pics (night images obviously not good). The color is what threw me off at first but after some research I think I can see the difference now. Thought the anal fin was more rounded.

·
Premium Member
23,485 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not my first blue btw, but the biggest so far. I've been having a hard time locating fish this week, is there some kind of seasonal shift happening or something?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Not my first blue btw, but the biggest so far. I've been having a hard time locating fish this week, is there some kind of seasonal shift happening or something?
The James is rewarding some days and some days it'll beat you back to the truck lol gotta grind out those bad days. Are you still finding shad pretty easily? Has the weather been stable? They should be putting on the feedbag any week now in preparation for the winter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The James is rewarding some days and some days it'll beat you back to the truck lol gotta grind out those bad days. Are you still finding shad pretty easily? Has the weather been stable? They should be putting on the feedbag any week now in preparation for the winter.
Shad's still pretty easy with the gill net. Even got a couple what look like threadfin shad the last time. Weather has definitely shifted to fall mode and water temps seem much cooler.

On a side note... Have you had a chance to use your Slimcat Heavy? I was about to order two BCF heavies but they literally went out of stock before I could check out!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Shad's still pretty easy with the gill net. Even got a couple what look like threadfin shad the last time. Weather has definitely shifted to fall mode and water temps seem much cooler.

On a side note... Have you had a chance to use your Slimcat Heavy? I was about to order two BCF heavies but they literally went out of stock before I could check out!
My slime cats work well

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Yeah I haven't had a chance to use mine yet nor touch it. Just the slimecat reel. But all my buddies who own the slimecat likes them but non have the BCF rods as well it seems to do a comparison. I thought I would've had a review for you by now but this c-virus keeps getting in the way lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts