Blue Marsh

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Spider, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Took a road trip the other day with my map and camera to Blue Marsh to locate a few spots to try. I used to fish the one area from a boat but that was at least 15 years ago. It grew in really bad and I had a hard time finding the spot but did. Turns out the old road is now no more that a paved path but leads to a nice little cove off the main channel. The other spot is right off 183 and the leg branches into a fork. At least one fork goes way back to a feeder creek but is not accessable from shore. Still the area that is may be decent fishing.
    I'm planning on trying one of these spots for daytime fishing and one for nights. I think tomorow (Friday the 25th) will be my day trip. I have nothing else to do anyway.
    Here is a picture of both areas. What do you think from what you can see?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Looks like it has some promise! Good luck!

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Tried the spot in the second photo. This location is just north of the RT. 183 bridge that runs over the lake's one leg. The weather wasn't the best nor the time for catfishing. It was sunny and hot and I fished from about 1:00PM to 5:00PM. Had pretty many bites using chicken liver but nothing real great. I did have two that spun the reel clicker, but of course I wasn't paying attention. I did manage to cat a small cat and a carp.
    Next trip there will be for some night fishing in the first photo spot (as long as the available space isn't occupied.

4. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Both spots look good... do fish mostly from shore.

I took my son out to Hopewell Lake this weekend... got skunkd on cats, but caught three nice bass.

5. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I tested my new boat on blue marsh.First time i had seen it, supposed to be flattys in it.Try some live bait at night and see what happens. Im curiouse. I will be out that way to try sooner or later

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Looks like some great fishing holes, let us know how it turns out

7. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Went out today to the spot in the first photo. It's a small cove off the main channel of the lake (northern end in No Wake section). Anyway, I've fished both locations in the daytime and at least I didn't get skunked. Today neted a Stripped Bass and a Channel Cat. Both were pretty small but at least better than catching nothing. Hard to tell if it's the location or the weather or the time of day. I fished from 1:00PM to 5:00PM and it was sunny and close to 90 degrees. Chicken liver and Nightcrawlers were with me for bait but I only hard bites with the liver.
    I suppose the next step is to get there and try both of these areas at night. Don't know when that will happen but when I can get out.
    Overall, today was not bad, I had a good time and that's what counts.

8. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Nighttime might be the ticket. i have been thinking going out there to give it a try. I was out there a couple weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon it was too busy for me.

I like the piece and quiet as much as the fish.

Have you tried Strobel Lake in Morgantown, the guys in the bait shop by Blue Marsh said it has a good number of cats, may try that this weekend.

9. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Yeah, weekends are a bit nuts at Blue Marsh. Not too bad if you get some places in the No Wake areas. I no longer have a boat so I only need to deal with them from shore.
    Where is Strobel Lake? I can't seem to recall ever hearing about it but then my memory ain't what it was 20 years ago.

10. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    Do you guys know of a boat launch I can leave my truck trailer at all night? The only one I know of is the dry brooks boat launch and that one said day use only.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Current state record comes from there.

12. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Hi: There is the Sheidy Boat Ramp, alone 183 near Bernville. This ramp is at the upper end of the No Wake area so it's a rather long haul to the Unlimited Area. This is where I used to put in when I had my boat but I generally didn't go to the unlimited area.
    Here's a web site with info and a phone number. If nothing else, they should be able to help you. I'm thinking that one of the other ramps must be opened at night because they have night cat tournaments once in awhile.
    Anyway, here's the link: http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/sb/bm_guide.htm
    Phone: 610-376-6337

13. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    Let me know when there is goin to be a tournament. Very interested, thank you

14. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Spider

The guy at the bait shop told me follow RT 23 from Rt 100 toward Morgantown. When you get to morgantown road make a left and follow it over the mountain to the lake.

I looked at it on google earth and it looks like it has some good places to bank fish, I am going to scout it out this weekend. i will let you know what i find

15. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    Strobel Lake is just outside of Morgantown. Take 23 into Morgantown, turn at the Sheetz that road will run into Morgantown RD turn left and follow it about 3-4 miles to the lake.

Depending on which way you come from, you can only turn onway at Sheetz, the lake is in between Morgantown and Honeybrook. I was out there 2 nights ago, right after it rained it seemed pretty stirred up.

Let me know how you do if you go out for a look.

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I'll be watching for some kind of a report on Strobel Lake. It woul be nice to know ahead of time what the conditions would be for shore fishing. Is it easily accessable fishing from shore? What kind of water conditions are there (depth, structure), is it grown in with weeds, general bottom makeup?
    Basically, what is it like and was anything caught?
    Thanks,
    Larry

17. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    I fish the marsh alot and leave my boat at all three launches at night. I only fish at night.As long as you pay the $3.00 fee at dry brooks and state hill and display the tag you should be fine. The launch on rt.183 is free,but it has no lights at the dock and only a job johnny for a pisser. I use that one the most cause there are alot of coves and falling trees. I'm not sure but I'm starting to think to get into the flats you need to fish the main body since they are getting most of them from the spillway.Good luck!

CPR!!!!!!!

18. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    As far as I know there has not been a toury there in a couple years.I've been in all them that I know of.I think there was a insurance problem,liability.The Berks Bassmasters had the last couple and the turn out was not real good.

19. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    During this week I spent two afternoons at a small cove shore fishing. Not much to talk about. Fish were biting one day pretty good but only one real good take and I missed that one. Today another gentleman caught a couple small fish but the weather turned not too good and it was very windy. I had nothing the two days there.
    I think I'm Jinxed! :confused2: Oh well, Same As It Ever Was.

20. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I fish Blue Marsh quite a bit caught some nice channels across from the horse trailer parking lot 30" 25" 28" nice cats lots of bugs biting too pack the spray
    (Church rd.)