Blue Marsh Lake

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by readingcatfisher, Feb 17, 2009.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Has anyone been there lately ?

2. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I guess not:confused2::eek:oooh::crazy:

3. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I thought maybe Lenny or John would have been at the spillway tossin a husky jerk around:smile2:

4. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I have not been there this year yet. I not sure but I may head up there Sunday.

5. wetflyguy

wetflyguy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Is any of the ice off Blue marsh?
    As sone as its off the channels will start feeding on
    the winter kill bait along the cove shores.

Wet

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i was at the spillway on thursday and left empty handed, i did stop at the dry brooks ramp just to check it out and most of the lake from what i seen still had ice, a small section around the ramp was clear and someone actually had their boat in, ya couldn't even get over toward the beach area or toward the dam cause of the ice, not sure if that guy was just seein if his boat would float or what but he wasn't gettin too far:eek:oooh: i didn't drive down 183 in the no wake zone, not sure what it was like down there

7. Well, we can understand, can't we? He beat us to the water! I was in my backyard a few weeks ago during a warm weekend workin' on the boat, and I climbed inside it and turned the radio on, and my neighbor came walking by with his dog and looked at me like I was a freak!:tounge_out:

8. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Blue marsh should start waking up soon with these warm days but the nights are still a bit too cool just gotta stay a little warmer during the night and things will start picking up:wink:

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Is there any boating restrictions on the lake? 24 hr launch or certain hours? Been hearing some things about the lake far as decent fishing for cats, just never been there before.

10. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    no restrictions unlimited motor I got my PB channel there 15#:wink:

11. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    There are no motor limits on the lake.There are 3 launches that you can put in 24/7,but only 2,Dry Brooks and State Hill, have lights. Those 2 are in the no-limit zone. The 3rd one is in a no-wake zone,which there are 2 of. Both pretty long. It was $3.00 to launch and park at the 2 launches with lights any time of day.They also have bathrooms.

12. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Ok, some basic questions. What should I be looking for in an area to fish in a lake like Blue Marsh? Other than shoreline drops it doesn't appear than there is much in structure of the bottom. Places I fished years ago appear to have filled in and appear non-existent now. I caught a couple fish last year but all small stuff. I haven't tried cut bait or bait-fish but that's probably because I've never caught anything with them except for smallmouth with minnows. I'm guessing that I'm just not where the fish are. I've been using a Carolina rig with a sliding sinker and about an 18-20" leader, from 1/0 to 5/0 Octopus and Circle hooks, and generally a 2 oz sinker. Bait have been mainly chicken liver and nighcrawlers. They have given me the best luck so far. I'd like to try some float fishing but I'm not sure how large I need to with a float for the bait and a heavier sinker to keep it at a depth.
    I guess what I'm looking for is a little help in understanding how I should be doing my fishing and what I should be looking for in an area from shore and by boat. My main interest is is a lake environment.
    Any help would be appreciated.

13. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Larry I had lots of luck with some very stinky shrimp ,I would also try some cut bluefish ,channels seem to love it very strong scent and gives off lots of oils or even a whole sunny or a sunny head might be the bait up there gotta try variety,give em a buffet to choose from:wink:

14. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    I fish the Marsh from a boat and I position the boat about 20 to 30 yards from the shore and cast to the shore line,about 2 to 3 feet from shore. Sometimes in a foot of water. Of coarse this is done at night when they are cursing the shore line. I use livers,shiners and sunnies,live or cut.Caught alot of nice fish and seen some nice ones caught that way. I tried that way to from shore and it worked as well.The only difference is in a boat if they don't hit you can move to another spot,which I do. 20 to 30 mins. in one spot and no hits,move!! If you would like pm me and maybe we can hook up and I will show what I do.

15. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Thanks. I may take you up on the offer sometime, if you get out during the summer months.
    I'm hoping to have my boat more ready to do some night fishing this year.
    the only thing that concerns me is having my truck and trailer sitting at the 183 boat ramp parking at night while I'm out fishing. Bothers me that there is no lighting or any real type of security at that area. My boat isn'y big enough to venture into the unlimited area.

16. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    Knock on wood. I haven't had any problem with my truck sitting there.The ranger patrols it.

17. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    If you guys don't mind me askin whats the best fish you pulled out of the Marsh?

18. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    31" tiger musky from the spill-way.25" 8lb. striper from the lake on livers and 8lb.channel.

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    larry, if i were you i would put in at dry brooks at nite, very little boat traffic at nite and its a nice lit area for parking, at nite ya don't have ta worry about jet ski's, water ski'ers, all that nonsence, and fish inbetween the island and the swimming beach, there is also a nice shole with a marker at the corner of the island