Blue Herron bait stealer

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by MERUSS, Mar 10, 2007.

1. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    Went to the bait tank at my buddies house yesterday to get some bait for today. He had some blue backs left from last week. Well when I get there the lid is off the tank and that baby is empty. I called my bud and asked what happened. He said he saw a big herron at the dock that morning but didn't think much about it. I believe that bird ate somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 dozen baits. Oh well.
    We went to Tillery caught some whites a couple of channels but no blues. My brother did catch a 7 lb 2oz striper on cut bait. When the current stopped so did the few bites we were getting
    If anyone on Norman sees an extra fat Herron I can tell you why.:big_smile:

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Rusty, I have one that would steal my bait on a regular basis. We are now so close that I call him Henry. I had a 50 gallon container in the water at my dock and I saw him stealing my white perch and bream. So, I made me a top for the container and within days, Henry figured out how to raise the lid up and get him a few. I now have a tank on dry land and have a 4x4' piece of plywood covering it. Now Henry stands by the old container and quacks at me every now and then. I guess he thinks I am going to put him some more food in the old tank. They are smart birds.

3. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    This guy might be Henry because he seemed to know exactly what he was doing.:big_smile:

4. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Sun was just coming up as I was checking my bank poles , there stood a blue herron ,he was not that big ,must have been a young one . Well he has my hook in his mouth ( turned out to be his tonge ) I was hoping to rid him of the hook ,but the best I could do was cut the line a foot from his mouth, poor devil flew away with that hook and a little line hanging out of his mouth . Hope he made it

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    The bridge/pier public fishing area we fish at when we go to Tampa has a flock of gulls that specialize in bait stealing. If you lay out bait to cut and bend over to get your knife or cut your bait and look away to grab the hook a gull will swoop by and take the bait off of your cutting board just that fast.
    The real stinker was I was standing on the pier holding a piece of squid and talking to my son. I was not watching and a big gull swooped by and took it out of my hand!

:embarassed:

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yea pelicans are bait stealers to:tounge_out:

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I was pulling freelines last year for stripers early one morning and 3 or 4 of them things flew behind the boat about a foot off the water. Three of 'em caught my lines and got slammed into the water. It looked like somebody shooting down fighter planes. Then they got up and took off wide open. They are a trip. There loud quacking will wake you up if one's close to you.

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    heh, heh, I was with my dog "BUCK" walking down to our favorite fishing spot when I spotted what looked like a big old garbage bag hung up on a tree branch. So, I walked over twards it to grab it and throw it away- and (It must have been sleeping) cause all of a sudden that garbage bag mad a noise and spread it's wings and SCARED the crap right outta me! Yup- you got it.. a big ol' Blue Heron NOT an old garbage bag! Whew! Glad I had the dog but I think he was just as scared as I was! lol :lol: