Blue Herring ?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by JimmyJonny, Nov 5, 2007.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Bluebacks ?

I was told thats what they were but now I have a pic to find out for sure. If not what is it ?

Thanks -Jim-

Thanks, I caught it in time to edit

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Im guessing blueback herring is what your refering to they are my go to bait in this area for cats and stripers I wont go fishing without them:wink:

3. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    How big are the one's used for bait ? This is about the average size I catch, about 3 or so inches.....Thankyou much -Jim

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    The landlocked blue backs seem to run between 3 to 6 inches. But the bluebacks I used in Jersey during the spring striper runs up the coast averaged between 8 to 12 inches and were like money in the bank for stripers and catfish

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Y'all gotta be doing something wrong. Wrong place, wrong time of year...something. On the Arkansas River, skippies tend to average about 12"-15" long, occasionally larger or smaller; on the Tennessee River, they run noticeably larger, averaging 15"-20", occasionally larger, even less often, smaller. I've seen times below Pickwick in the spring when you'd have to catch 15-20 large skipjack to catch one a little shorter than 12" to use for live bait. While they may not get that large where you are, I can't believe that they only get up to 3" long.

6. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    I'm still getting different opinions to what the fish even is, I've also been told it was a type of shiner. As far as size, when I catch bream these little guys just happen to always be there so I catch them on the sabiki rig as well. No boat, no net =catch what ya can, LOL.

7. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
  8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I don't know the proper name for them but around here we call them bar minnows or river shiners. Thats not a skip.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Here's a pic of a blueback that I pulled off the internet. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

10. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Yea thats a good pic, thankyou. Are the skipjacks and bluebacks different then ?

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    That looks like what I've heard called saw bellies around here.

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jim, the blueback herring is the smaller brother of the skipjack; the skipjack can grow up to 16", and a bit larger in some places. We don't have any skipjacks closeby around here.

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    They are in the same family as "saw bellies". Don't ask me where the name of the family came from, it just popped into my head. Amazing what's trapped in there.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    According to Fishbase, the scientific name for skipjack is alosa chrysochloris; the scientific name for blueback herring is alosa aestovalis.

15. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Yes that is true those are the genus and species.....the next level of classification is family.