Blue Heron

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by Mac-b, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    For a couple of years now, I have been telling the folks in the NC section and the Ramblings Thread about a Blue Heron that has been robbing my bait tank. This bird has visited my bait tank so much I gave him a name and it was Henry. Tuesday evening I got a good look at Henry and found out that it has a broken left leg which has healed, but it is stiff and he can not use it like the other leg. So, as of this past Wednesday, I am now leaving a white perch or left over bait in a five gallon bucket on top of the bait tank for Henry to get itself a easy meal.

From the house deck I've watched him trying to get the bait out of the bucket. If the bait runs to one side of the bucket, that dumb bird will look to the outside of the bucket to see where it went. Strange indeed. Still, it manages to empty the bucket within a short period of time.

You can read more about the Blue Heron at: http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Great_Blue_Heron.html

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The Blue Herons & Pelicans down here will sure clean out a bait tank in a hurry. Normally I try to keep them away w/o harming them but I'm glad to see that you're helping out the "disabled".

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I was jugging on the Arkansas River one day with my wife's cousin when he said, "I think that blue heron is on that jug." At the time, my top hook was 6' below the surface, so I told him, "No way!" But as we got closer to the jug, sure enough, the heron began to swim away, towing the jug. Well, we chased that jug around for 10 or 15 minutes, but the bird wouldn't let us get close enough to grab it (the jug). By this time my patience was at an end, so I said, OK, here's what we'll do. I'm going to back off 100' or so and go full blast by the jug. As we go past, you grab the jug and hang on, I'll cut the throttle, and we'll coast to a stop, then get the bird off the hook. Of course, that meant dragging the poor bird through the water a ways. Once we coasted to a stop one of us grabbed the heron and held its beak while the other removed the hook. The heron was gently put back on the water, and it swam only a few feet away and stopped, looking at us like, "Fellers, I've just had one heck of an experience, and if it's all right with you, I'll just sit here a few minutes and collect my wits." We retrieved the jug and went on our way to check the other jugs. About 15 minutes later we came back by that spot, and the heron had left, probably to go tell his buddies. It bothered me for a while about how a heron could get to a bait 6' under the surface, until I remembered how gar treat my jugs. When they get on a jug, they tend to go to shallows only a few inches deep where they can scrub the hook out of their mouth; this leaves the jug and hooks where the heron can easily get to them.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That leg would probably be better suited with the colonels 11 herbs and spices on it. LOL

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mark, you are on the wrong thread. This isn't the tanning booth.

In some states the Blue Heron is an endanger species.

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I erased a double post, sorry.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    That isnt a female is it.I have sen women looking on the outside of their purses to see where all their money went and that seems similiar.LOL:smile2:

8. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    we have one here i don't know what he is thinking he speared 2lb koia and left it .guess his eyes were bigger then his stomach , has made a pretty good living out of my pond for years . we put a big flat in there he might git a big suprise, everthing else did!