Blue Heron problems...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BLKCLOUD, Oct 1, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have a "friend" whose has a pond he stocked with bass,cats,and bluegill..the blue heron are cleaning him out..Yesterday we rode up there and one was on the bank with a fish in his mouth..when we pulled up he took off and dropped the fish on the bank.. it was a largemouth that was longer than my foot!!! all of the bullgfrogs are gone and used to you could see schools of bass patrolling the edges..not now..I dont know if they have been eaten or if they stay deep..he wants the ba$^*(rds gone..the game and fish guy told him..."I cannot tell you to shoot them but..the fish are your property and you have a right to protect your property".. and ideas?? thanks!!

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    An alternative to shooting it might be to keep a chicken-eating dog down at the pond.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    "JTrue' is as right as rain in a barrel. Dogs, if you don't want to kill 'em is the best way to go. They will overflight a pond a couple times then come in. They will also scope a pond and figure your schedule and be there when you are not. Some folks string wire, fishing line etc. They don't like their footsys tangled. About the only sure way is to live on the pond. Not possible. Just hope you don't get cormorants.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats rite blame the bird. Its a pond with an easy meal. Did ya think it wasn't gonna happen.Keep shootin the birds and leave the corpses there as a warning to all others. This cracks me up. We build the ponds. Then we get the fish more than likely from public waters for our own private little worlds and then wanna get crazy when a bird decides to come get a meal. I'm done!

5. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Your almost right except this guy has spent about 4000.00 having it dug and then another 500 on fish from the FISH TRUCK..I guess when the coyotes start eating his baby calves that cracks you up also..

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Laryngitis: George, lift your beard when you talk. I wanna see if your larynx moves. Ya can't kill these birds George. It is inhumane, illegal, unethical and unpatriotic, not to say just downright mean. And yes George those are public water stocked fish. But George when they are in the pond, possession is 90 % of the law, the bird has no right to act like a bird. Ammunition is getting expensive just like cigarettes, pretty soon it will cost as much to kill something as it does for me to buy a pack of cigarettes to kill myself. What is the world coming to?

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Seems like pretty soon, we're gonna be a country with really spiritually advanced people, like India, where they let all the dangerous animals run loose, and even if a tiger is killing a person every couple of days, heaven forbid they should shoot it, or even hurt its feelings.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I sure hope not Jerry. LOL! My only point was what do ya expect.

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Just some food for thought. Its often not what is said but HOW its said......

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I dont think the heron are the problem. I fish a local pond and the heron just stand there at the bank and I throw them dead rainbows that other fishermen leave behind. Cormorants on the other hand are a pain. They eat way past there limit and ya cant kill them.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know if it were my pond a load of #4 birdshot would solve my problem quick and that bird wouldnt snitch me out :big_smile:.

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Keith, give yer "friend" that mini 14 with the bent barrel that recoils enough to loosen dentures and have him go at em with that unit. He can watch their reaction thru the scope that won't stay zeroed.....maybe he can scare em off. And "kill" two birds with one stone as ya won't feel so bad bout the gun.
    A box of 5.56 is cheaper than smokes. You'd have the first bird watching gun.

:smile2: