blue gills

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by catfishhunter007, Jul 13, 2008.

1. catfishhunter007

catfishhunter007 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ok..... i know blue gills are one of the best baits to catch flatheads but i was just wondering. How do most of you guys out there hook them lil suckers.

2. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Number 8 Gamakatsu circle hooks and berkley gulp worms. I like the berkley gulp worms as they dont die, stay on the hook even after ive caught 2-3 gills. I just put the "worms" on a hook, cast them into some bluegills and wait for the tug to reel them in.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use a 7-8/0 circle hook hooked just below the dorsal fil. Only "bite" into about an eighth of an inch so. when swallowed it will rip free from the bait and the hook will have a better chance of grabbing on the way out during the hookset.

4. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Haha, I thought he was asking how to catch bluegills.

5. catfishhunter007

catfishhunter007 New Member

State:
    arizona
    nah man...... i know how to catch bluegills. i was just wondering how everybody else hooks them for bait.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    I run an 8/0 under the dorsal, and another, smaller usually,just in front of the tail, haven't missed any with that terrible rig,,one or both usually get set. If I use that rig, I slide a plastic bead between the hooks , with the line running through the eye of the secondary hook and tied off on the terminal 8/0.

main thing i guess is to keep the point adequately exposed, in relationship to the size of the bait.

good luck, Greg

7. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The bead is a good idea. Thanks.

8. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    if im in current i hook them throught the bottom of hte mouthe and throught the nostril. If you reall want them to stay on hook them right through the eyes. if there's no current hook the,m in hte dorsaljust above the bloodline

9. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I use 9/0 eagleclaw offset hooks and if you look real good at a bluegill they have a white or sometimes black line about 1/4 of an inch down from their fin on the top of their back,I try and hook em right on that line or just above it if you go below it, it will either kill them or they wont swim worth a damn........good luck and happy fishing