Blue gills on drop offs.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chris45601, Aug 17, 2007.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alrighty Brothers. I have been catching the larger percentage of my hand size Bait fish i.e warmouths blue gills and etc. off drop offs. about 6 foot of water. I'm just wondering if this should tell me something about flatties. These fish are held up on a rock wall, So does this mean thats where the flatties will be held up after dark? Hunting these drop offs?

2. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a similar spot where I can catch bluegill on every cast. On a rock ledge that is about 5 ft, then drops off to 15. I wonder if that is where I should be fishing at night?

3. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio

Seems like you int he same problem. I'm gonna try to hit it tonight in that same place. I just want to make sure that i'm not wasting my time.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i would definately fish these areas at dus and right after dark. them faltties will be cruising around looking for a big ole fat meal.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree with joey,go fish it tonight. catch bait till they shut down then fish with them. dont forget to have one line rite next to shore also. many people think they have to cast in the middle of the river, for some reason. i have caught most of my flats cruseing shore.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would deffinately give the spot a try, BUT ...

There is nothing that says those sunfish are going to still be in that exact spot after it gets dark. If I was a sunfish and it was getting dark, I sure as heck would look for someplace to hide! With that in mind, if that ledge doesn't produce, you might want to try a couple of other areas nearby.

That brings me to one of my pet theories - I think a lot of people miss out on a lot of flatheads by not making SMALL adjustments. If you are fishing an area (like a particular pool or bend in a river) that you know (or believe) holds flatheads and you are not getting bit, make a small move. Don't go 5 miles up river, instead try moving a short distance (maybe 50 yards?) looking for some kind of structure (little point or trench or downed tree or bar, etc) and give that a try! I don't know how many times I have made a SMALL move like that, and hooked up almost immediately.

Good luck andlet us know how it goes!

7. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i was wondering if the feedback u got worked and if so please let me know ty

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is a definite yes in my book. Those flatheads love sitting just off the drop offs!!!

9. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well brothers i went last night, Caught a couple 15# fish not bad not bad, I mean it was kinda funny and people where giving me weird looks when they sen my float right up against the rock wall. Another good note um my Wifes 10 year old brother Caught a 15 pound carp New pb for him. Biggest fish he ever caught.