Blue Gill

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smitty1963, Aug 17, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This may sound like a really dumb question but; do you scale a blu gill before you use it for cut bait?????

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I don`t , just cut em` and put them on the hook.

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I don't scale them when I eat them I'm not going to scale them to use as bait:wink:

I think there is scent on the scales by the slime. Removing the scales would remove some of the scent. I think:confused2: At least that is what is going though my head

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    If it's used as cut bait I dont think that it would matter.

5. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the help gents

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Ken, I scale all my bait before I cut it up. This does two things, first is that it allows more scent to get in the water and the second is that I don't have to worry about a scale getting on my hook and me missing it. A small scale can cause the hook to not fully penetrate the fish you are trying to catch. Just my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks Mac, Im learning something here! How does this help the scent to get into the water?

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I think Mac's right. I've got more channels on schrimp that's been deveined, the shell peels right off...I think there's something to the hook thing.
    I was using head on schrimp this weekend...I'd break the head and pull it slightly from the body, was getting good hits, but few sets and after reading Mac's reply, I think the bait was getting in the way.

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    When the scales come off, that opens the pores of the fish skin, thus making more scent available. I have been told that the first thing that a cat does is pick up the scent of the bait, they follow it until they can touch it with their whiskers, then they consume it if it is to their liking.
    It is alleged that they do not see very well, thus they have to depend on their sense of smell.

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Catfish are not like bream/gills that do not like the sight of a hooks barb. Thus, with their poor eye sight, have as much hook exposed as possible for cats.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    And Big Mac strikes again thanks fer the tid-bits think I just learned something too.....my hook rate has greatly inproved this year and getting better already:wink:

12. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Thanks Mac! I guess Im scaling my 'gills from now on!