Blue Gill Vs. Yeller Belly Mud Cats

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ohio_River_Rat, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    In the river ive only caught a few flatheads and none bigger than four lbs but this year i would like to do a good bit of flathead fishing. I've used live gills before but it was for a short time and only caught 2 gar. I know that alot of people use what they call "mud cats" around here for flatheads. I've heard that they are a heartier fish and i have a buddy that has a overpopulated pond filled w/yellow bellies he wants taken out.

Are they worth using or are bluegill better for flatheads?

Thanks
    -zac

2. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well rat I would get me a bucket of those "yellow bellies" and hit the water.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yellow bellies, mud cats, bullheads, whatever you call them are really good for flats! better than gills? all depends on what type of gill in my book. i'll take a green sunfish, pumpkinseed, anyday over a yellowbelly. if your fishing near snags on the bottom or mud i'd stick with gills. those yellow bellys tend to hide if possible. if youve ever watched yellowbellys in an aquarrium youll see what i mean. you cant beat them on a float, they are alway struggling to get away.

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I've heard cutting the barbs off will also help when using bullheads. I myself would rather have a bluegill or a rockbass on the other end of my line. I agree with the above also in that they will hide real well in the mud(bullheads), although they probably cause more of a stirr in the water than a bluegill would.

5. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    personally i have done better on Bluegills becuase i use them the majority of the time. But i have had some massive fish on yellow belly's that have broken my line

6. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    If the pond is over populated their probably small, but if their big enough to eat I heard they are good eating.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would pick a bluegill over a yeller belly.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it really depends on where im fishing, some sections of the river bluegill are the best bait for large flats than at other sections yellow belly seems to be better

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Yellow bellys or bullheads work great for yellowcats. Fiddler cats also work very good, the key is that other fish will leave them alone, like gar.

10. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I prefer blue gills when pole fishin but bullheads seem to live better on limb lines

11. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    NO HOOKS NO BAIT NO FEAR