blue gill for bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by SRWELDON, May 21, 2009.

1. SRWELDON

SRWELDON New Member

State:
    iowa
    does anyone know if you can use bluegill for bait in iowa?

2. skyhead

skyhead New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thats all I have been using lately. Getting bluegill out of my farm pond and using the guts and fish for cut bait. Best bait so far. Getting some really nice channels in.

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    In this part of the country we use alot of gills for bait, one of the best...

4. SRWELDON

SRWELDON New Member

State:
    iowa
    i can't get a straight answer out of the DNR. One office I called said NO the other office said you can catch them and not take them off the hook and use them for bait on the same rod and reel they were caught on.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    yessir. you can use bluegill and sunfish so long as they are caught with hook and line. it is illegal to net them and use them. same with bullhead.

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    heck yes!!!!! especially if you're fishin for flats, sometimes you'll get a big channel that will be hungry enough to take one but gills are prime flattie bait for me!!!

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

as long as you're not netting them and you're catching them on rod and reel you're good bro. if you feel comfortable enough to throw out the same hook that you caught the gill on for catfish go for it but I wouldn't advise it. you'll probably end up gettin your feelings hurt

8. josh grimm

josh grimm New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Blue gill can be used so long as you catch them with a fishing pole. We use green ears that we catch in a farm pond with a trap.

9. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bluegill caught by pole only

Green sunfish and orange-spotted sunfish by pole OR castnet

Best way to tell the difference between a bluegill and a Green Sunfish is by the mouth .... The corner of the mouth on a bluegill is before the eye while on a green sunfish the corner of the mouth is about the middle of the eyeball when looking at the fish from the side with it's mouth closed

Generally as a rule if it's a small mouth it's a Bluegill and a large mouth it's a Green Sunfish ... Some Green Sunfish will have some blue on it's gills but that's not what defines the Bluegill from Green Sunfish

Look at the Iowa DNR website for pictures and descriptions of various fish ... They refer a lot to the book Iowa Fish & Fishing which is available by calling the DNR offices for a mere 14 bucks ... You'd be amazed how many websites use it as a reference and not just those in Iowa

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    There's nothing in the regs that backs either opinion. I've seen the same question on the net hundreds of times because Iowa regs are kind of vague. Here's the deal. There is a list of fish you can't use for bait. It is a short list like carp, goldfish, gar and one or two other things. But there is another list telling you what fish you can basically catch with baitfish methods like traps and nets that baitshops can also sell. It doesn't specify "these are the only baits you can use" or anything like that. It doesn't even include worms. If you obtain it legally, and it isn't on the excluded list, it's bait. The same hook? That's just ignorance.

If your local DNR guys are that foggy on the rules, let their bosses know. I haven't had any problems. Have been checked a few times. One DNR guy told me where the sandpit with the runt gills was.

11. apsmith09

apsmith09 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ok, so I'm pretty new to catfishing. I've caught maybe 10 catfish in my life. I hear alot about using bluegills for bait, but I don't know how everyone uses them as bait. Do you guys use them dead or live? And live or dead, how do you hook/present them to the catfish? Thanks

12. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Ill post some pics tommorow of different ways, if they don't get to it before I do.

13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    always live. you need a large hook. i use 6 to 8/0 cirlcles. you can get them through their back, past the top fin (i'll let you see an example if Steve posts the pic). you can hook them through their eyes- like in one out the other. or you can put the hook in the mouth through the top of the head, in between the eyes. i use the last one mostly.

14. bigfoot914

bigfoot914 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you can use them but you cant buy them at a bait shop

15. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    As long as it was caught on a hook you can use it, the reason for the "can not use" list is because those fish are highly destructive by nature and are known to destroy whole eco systems. That is why you are also not supposed to dump minnows back in to the water, or transport bait from one spot to the other. Bluegill are easily identifiable, but Iowa has over 15 breeds of chubs and even more minnows...

Hope this helps...