Blue crabs

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by vinny, Jun 18, 2006.

1. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    went to florida fishin in the salt water last wednesday got some bait fish but the storm and that red tide they had got nothing still got out nice day till I seen some people getting blue crabs they kept every one the crabs were the size of a cup they had coolers full of them that made me mad

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Sorry to hear you didn't catch much while here in Fl. Those blue crabs they were packing coolers with may have been being taken to one of the crab sheads on the coast,but then maybe not. There are a few places that hime them up in under water cages by the 1000's and grow them to marketing size. I fish one river where in the warmer months the blue crabs run up the river from the coast & they will drive a catfisherman nutts. Your rod will move a bit then stop then move a bit & stop again,kinda like a lite bite from a catfish. After this goes on for 4-5 min's you start to wonder & check your bait,guess what ALL you have is a few bluegill bones left.LOL It's so funny to watch someone that don't know the crabs are what's hitting there line. LOL I learned how to deal with them after a while,by adding a float to my leader making the bait float about a foot off the bottom.