Blue Catting with Doc-Ohio River 1/1/06

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Jan 1, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flathunter & I met up w/ Doc for some New Years Day Blue Cattin' on the Ohio River. Flathunter nor I have ever landed a Blue before.

We had some very good luck right off the bat. Doc landed a 10# Blue, then I landed my first Blue ever, a 7# Albino. Flathunter then proceeded to land a Channel Cat. All three fish were landed w/ in the 1st 20 minutes were were out. The only other fish of the day was an 8# Channel by Doc.

Flathunter then landed his 1st Blue cat, Hmm.... where is the pic? Oh yea, Thats Right, Flathunter DIDN'T get a Blue cat! Keep on :0a23: buddy.!

THE BIG NEWS OF THE DAY WAS DOC'S BUDDY BOATING A 86# BlUE!
    -Pics comming

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    FYI: I guess we were lucky, we did run into any people that caught cats (other than ouselves & Docs buddy). The fishing was extremely rough as the Blues were not hitting.

3. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Sounds like yall had a blast.my wife and i fished the Ohio today as well. was real slow and the wind picked up pretty good,i caught 1 blue weighed 8# and my wife caught a little channel that was about the size of her hand lol

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Not a Bad way to start the new Year. congrats guys!!!

How cold was it up there?

where's the pic of the big boy?

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan, you look like a real goofball with that hat on :D

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Way to get the 2006 Fishing season of to a good start guys. :0a23:

Nice photos :thumbsup:

Bert :cool:

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jack I'm with You.

Bryan, for the love of God..............Please........go find a new cold weather hat.

Hmmmm lets see maybe this look would be better for You

Attached Files:

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    LOL he kinda looks like one of them lil garden gnomes with that hat on ;) sorry mellon :p

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am surprized that "Doc" let him in the boat looking like that, LOL!!! I bet Doc stayed hidden the whole time, hoping no one would see what he had in the boat "poor Doc", LMAO!!!

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Kris that was a good one :D That would be a good nickname for him, the gnome!

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do have a worse hat, just ask Jakc about the one form alst week!
    Pics of the big biy will be here by twomorrow, I will ge ahold of Doc later.

12. Catmandu

Catmandu New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'M NEW TO BOC sounds like yall had a good day on the water . we went out today also and had a very eventful day ourselves. I took two brothers out and the first fish in was 55lb. The total catch was 8 fish . Caught the big girl on a shad head . Water temp at 42 Air temp at 55. We fish the lower james

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mellon, i tried to look up the historical data on the pressure for today but the site i go to hasnt updated to 2006 yet. last it showed was last night at midnight and pressure was 29.98 and rising. its currently 29.92 and falling here and i'd bet that since we have rain coming tomorrow it rose until really early this morning and started falling about daybreak or so, if thats true its probably why they werent hitting. im going by our local conditions but you werent that far away and the data would be pretty similar. an ok moon phase but before the new moon is way better than after, like it was today. i was thinking about going tomorrow but after checking the weather and seeing that i changed my mind. gonna rain anyway.

14. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    What were the kitties hitting on? I might hit the river in the next few days.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All the fish were caught early in the day..I think 3 came on shad, and 1 on skipjack.

16. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    We got out today on the Ohio. Put in around 10:30 a.m. at Cox's park.We went across the river to a surfacewater discharge and Capt. Mike castnet about 20 little shad. We tried our luck at several holes moving up river,fishing with cut skipjack and live shad. We finally got into some Blue cats in the front end of a 45' hole just past 14 mile creek. We caught 6 or 8 Blues, biggest was around 20lb. one around 12 or 15 lb. and the rest were smaller. All fish were caught on fresh dead shad. The bite was slow, bump and run.

17. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Where is the pictures of the Albino cat at ?? I was wanting to see him..

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes the 86 lb blue your talking about is a big fat cat. Or as my wife stated. Look at the fat guy. Wait until I tell him next month she thought he was fat.. LOL
    But she was talking about the hand full of fish HEHE :D

Theres going to be some talk when this picture gets on here. :cool:

PEte

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's just an Albino Blue, not an Albino Channel. it's the one in the last pic. (Pink eyes, pink fins)

20. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    We had a great time, the fishing was tough but we managed fish, others on the river that were fishing didn't do as well, the water was 40 degrees, muddy as heck and loaded with a ton of grass and leaves, we managed three fish on our first spot and then they just shut down after that, did manage another fish later on but they just shut down, marked very few fish on the river but lots of bait, Thanks Jack and Brian I had a great time with you guys.

About 1:00pm I called my buddy James Noles and asked him how he was doing, said he had been on the river all morning and had nothing to show for it, Man this sucks how are you doing, told him we have 4 fish biggest at 10#, he said let me call you back I got a fish moving on a bait, about 30 min. went by and he calls back, I said Man that must have been a good fish, he was majorly pumped up, Happy New year to me, I got a 86# Blue, at first I thought he said 8.6, then he told me the fish weighted in at 90# in his net and the net weighted 4#, he was so pumped up, good fish James, we will have plenty to talk about on the boat at the BOC outing in Feb.