Blue Cats: What turns them on?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by wolfman, Mar 3, 2008.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Several times last year on the Ohio river I noticed when setting up on marked fish from the fish finder, a lot of times there wasnt too much or any action at all. I assume these fish are inactive and just not feeding. Would you wait for the fish to become active? or what tactics would you use to turn these fish on to get them to bite? or would you simply pull anchor and try to find actively feeding catfish? Your comments are appreciated, thanks.

2. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    To turn on "blues" try wearing something low cut, a little cologne, & talk real swoopsey rofl!

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I would probably pull up anchor and try another spot for a while, but I would try the spot where I marked fish again later and see if I could get a bite then.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Or you could do what DH does!!!! Dynomite and/or electroshock treatments, LOL!!!

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    According to a secret agent I know, code name DH, Blue cats are turned on by Pink cats. Seriously, when the bite is slow he actually uses pink Ho Ho's soaked in WD 40.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    huuummmm....I must have posted in the wrong forum. lol:wink::roll_eyes:

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Walter, you almost HAD to know the title would draw in the wiseacres! LMAO!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

They beat me to it though.:embarassed:

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Walt, the next time you get into this situation try drift fishing through the area using the wind current or the trolling motor if necessary. Sometimes the fish are just laying there and are not actively feeding. But blues are pigs by nature and if you get it close enough or hit them they will bite. try rigs at different depths as well ifyou are only bottom fishing you may be missing out on a good bite with suspended baits. If all else fails bring plenty of beer and/or DH and his dynomite:wink::smile2:.

9. muddy

muddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    you have to go by the moon. It seems to me like blue cats are affected more by the moon's position than any other fish I know. You can find the blues and put your bait right on their nose and they won't hit till its feedin time.

I know it sounds weird but its true. I've seen it happen too many times. As the moon starts to get right you'll start catchin one now and again,and as it gets in better position they bite faster and faster. then it starts to slow down again till you aint gettin a bite at all, even though the fish are still there.

My advice is to hit the spot where you know they hang out about an hour before the major feed starts and stay till they quit bitin. watch out for the times when the major feed is at night cause some times they will go some where else to feed, some where shallow maybe.

you can find the major feeding periods in magazines, like the solunar tables in field and stream. Hope this helps and good luck.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Yeppa said, in another thread, if they're female, he does:smile2:

11. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I have had this same problem all winter it seems, I cant figure them out. All I can figure is I am not "following" the bait enough. I have marked some pretty impressive stuff and sit there for two hours with no action.

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, from what I understand, they get turned on by short, tight skirts, and big...uhh...fins.

Oh wait, you ment what turns on the BITE, ok

Try using fresh cut shad heads. Use a grinder up current from the cats and grind up the tails into the water.

13. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    what did that fish hit on i bet that was fun:crazy:

14. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice doe tdawgnok:smile2:

15. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    keep trying catchaser :wink:

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Walter if it were me and you know you have some nice Blues holding up, I'd float them back 2-3 different bait presentations before I'd pull anchor and head for parts unknown. Send them back some skipjack, then some shad filets, or just a skipjack head. I've found I can sometimes pick those fish up by just switching baits before I move. Its worth a few extra minutes to swap those baits out for sure. Its worth a try.

17. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne

Nicely said there Cuz, you also could move and present at a deferent angle with an drag and drop presentation.