blue cats, on the bottom, in the middle, does it matter?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by BLKCLOUD, Nov 27, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    When I rig for blue cats I usually have my bait about 6-8 inches from the bottom, the other day while jugging (my jug lines are 10 feet long)I caught some that were 10 feet deep in 12-15 foot water..on average..do you think the big blues hang on the bottom or do the pretty much just swim where they want in search of food, also..do you think that the ones I caught were possibly on the bottom and they got wind of the cut shad 2-5 feet above them?? thanks!!

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    my best fish that i catch on jugs are usually caught 3ft from bottom. When i catch alot of eaters i get them on the 6ft from bottom.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My juglines are rigged so that the top hook is 3' below the surface, and the bottom hook is 12' below the surface. Sometimes I'll catch most of my fish high, or low, and sometimes all through the water column.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    with blues like most fish that target shad i think it depends on where the shad is.if the shad are 2 foot deep over 50 foot of water thats where i catch a lot of my fish.i regularly fish 6 foot deep over 40 or 50 foot of water and catch large fish.the one in my avator was caught fishing like this.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have to agree with that one, follow the bait..