Blue cats in Monroe?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drpepper, May 2, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So... I've been pretty much a Flathead guy but I want to learn the blues badley and since I plan to test my boat out at Monroe, I was hopin' I could get some tips on blues and the where-N-hows at Monroe from some of the 'ol pro's out there in BOC land and maybe get some tips on some of the closest places to me (Mooresville, IN) that provides some decent bluecat fishing.

And BTW, I AM a true believer in CPR... rarely, I will take 1 or 2 smaller fish thats easy to keep alive and will fit comfortably in my livewell home with me and stick in my pond.

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Bill, I did not know that there were Blues in Monroe. There's a bunch of knowledgeable Hoosiers on here that I am sure can help you out. Good luck!

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well, I'm pretty sure I'm read somewhere here on the boc about catchin' blues at monroe res. I know there are blues in giest res I seen 'em caught. anyway I'm hopin' to get some good helpful replies.

4. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    There are lots of blues in Monroe Reservoir...and big ones too. Finding them is the hard part. I would concentrate on creek channels in deeper water.

5. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    Another place you might want to try is Brookville Res. I haved people tell me that there isnt any blues there but ive caught a few myself and have the pics to prove it. Ive caught them off the egypt hollow flats in the river channel and also along the west bank down by the dam. Id give it a shot if your ever on the lake.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That makes me feel better... I'll find 'em! Thanks for that.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Brookville huh hmmm sounds interesting never fished there... What else lurks in those waters?

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have caught a 18# Blue out of Monroe. Right off the Paytown ramp on a night crawler so I know they are in there... Also I know there are some in Eagale Creek Res.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Not familar with the area. Good luck, I'm sure someone will square you away.

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have caught quite a few blues outa Monroe. I would agree with what was said and stick to the creek channels. Buy a topo map. There are several humps around the lake in deep water. Those are good.

If you really want to get into the blues though, head down to the Ohio River. We caught 4 tonight over 20 pounds.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm gonna be at Rocky point in June... wouldnt mind comin' down a time or two before then and shake-off some serious rust! 'Bout where on Ohio are you fishing? As I said, I'm on a special mission for bluecats this year.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I'm fishing out of Rising Sun. It is down in southeastern Indiana, by Cincinnati. The fishing has been slow, but we really got on them tonight. We had poles just doubling over. Nothing hits like a big blue.

13. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Max,
    I saw that you were out when I came to work today. I saw a boat across from the ramp in town and thought who that, they are getting soaked from the down pour. Congrats man, if you fished through that rain, you earned everyone of them you caught. Im dedicated, but man was it coming down. Ross

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The last time I fished Ohio was in southeastern Indiana, by Cincinnati - I took a guide... but I didnt catch a single blue...
    You may know the dude he's popular around there... I'm kinda thinkin' I heard he has some kinda record of some kind.
    I'll get his name and see if you know him.

15. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Personally i have never caught or seen a blue come out of Monroe but i have heard of a few. Most of the times when i fish that lake the big fish that we catch or see come out in the tournys are flatheads and big ones at that. Monroe deffinitly holds quite a few state record flatheads. As far as blues are concerned i would head down to the ohio and sit in the tailrace at a dam or do some drifting.