Blue Catfishing - What Size Line Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Rmills, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    what size line do most of yall use when going after monster blues? i use 30lb mono with a 60lb leader do you think that is sufficient for fish 50lbs and up?

2. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i was usin 40# ande but this year i been usin 25 biggame solar. it has worked well so far. i have tried to use a little more finesse with the lighter line but it has not let me down .

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have been using 25lb. saltwater ande on the main line. I really like the new envy green it is a highly visable. I switch to 40 lb. salt water pink ande for my leaders. I use a #1 or a 1/0 barrel swivel and nickle plated kale hooks from 7/0 - 10/0 size. I have caught quite a few fish over 40 lbs with no problems.

4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I use 30# Big Game on two rods and 25# Big Game on the other two. Just bought a new spool of clear 30# Big Game. Had been using the Solar (hi-vis) and really liked it. Wally World didn't the the hi-vis so I bought the clear. I can tell you, that 30# Big Game is real real tough.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jeff williams post triggered a thought in my head ,kind of like a light bulb coming on which could be dangerous.I have read along with most of you the circle hook threads that always appear with great interest.It seems folks fall basically into 2 groups; HATE/LOVE em.Seems that some have great difficulty hooking up.I use braid exclusively,line and leader and find although I use Kahles, which operate the same way,that I get a very high percentage of hook-ups per hit,well above 90% even 95%.I wonder if those of you having difficulty are using primarily mono which we know stretches.This rubber band effect could be causing the hook to slingshot out of the fishes mouth if he opens it,without the hook being pulled over to the corner.If he feels the pressure and turns back towards it ,opens his mouth to re grip, BOING its gone.Sounds plausable except I fish with lots of guides that use mono and they do catch lots of fish but I always felt I had a better success ratio.The guides also tend to use more limber rods that I think makes the slingshot effect worse.Sometimes AT Santee in the winter when they use big chunks of cut mullet the hook-up ratio isnt much above 50%.Just a thought that I am throwing out there for consideration.Nothing scientific just my feelings.:) ;)

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jim, that is a very plausible explanation.

You ought to make another, seperate thread for it.

Heck, I'll start a poll for it.

7. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    I guess I am in the Light-weight class guys.:crying:

I only use 12# Big game on my open bails and 15# Big Game on my bait casters. That is for bank fishing the Ohio. I have always used a light line though. Probably why I don't have any 50+ pounders yet.

8. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use 40lb BG mono when still fishing, using No-rollsinkers.
    Any other time I use 40-50 lb braid Spiderwire will drift fishing. On both rigs I use 80lb flourocarbon leaders.

The mono is more abrasion resistant to the constant sliding due to the No-Roles. The braid I find is much better for drifing and being able to feel the bottom, and if I want, I can snatch his lips off when setting the hook :p

I've had folks ask me why I use such big line and I simply tell them there's no need in giving the fish another advantage. As soon as I'd downize I'm sure I'd loose one.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i usually use the 30 or 40 lb big game trilene berkely line, i dont use a leader, i put on a little bead above my hook and let the sinker slide all the way down to the bead...i use the bead so the sinker doenst "beat up" my knot

10. droptines

droptines New Member

i am 44 and have grown up on small rivers.not at all like the ms.last year was my first year to fish for big fish and i love it.i am learning so much from everyones post.didnt know where to put this one so here,when you are just easing along and your graph or screen shows fish stacked everywhere and the sensitivity is middle will you stop and try that spot?are they reliable?

11. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I use 30# Big Game mono. I like the solar green for the visibility.

12. Dav1

Dav1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use 80 lb catfish fusion on all of my rods.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    40 Pound Ande Hi Vis Yellow Mono on all rods. Experimenting right now with 80 pound Power Pro Braid (20# diameter) with a 80 pound Ande Leader. I'll post on how the new setup works later.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    The rods that i use for the tournaments (where i don't want to lose fish to bad line) are loaded with 25# Berkley Big Game... One has 15# but that always has baits for smaller fish to try and catch our limits then we cull from there...

For just playing around i love 12lb test line again the berkley Big Game works well for me i also use 15# line BBG

the only other line i use is 4# test for my ultra lights but i don't want to test it on a blue in the potomac because you never know if the fish will be 2# or 20 lbs and though i trust it to be able to pull in a 20 it just wouldn't be much fun cause i'd have to reel all my other lines in so i didn't get tangled or another fish while im spending an hr fighing the fish...

15. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i was using 25 pound walmart.lol acually cought a 25 pound blue on it. now i use 30 big game.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I use from 25 - 40 pound test depending on what I am fishing and where. In Open water I use 25. Around some rocks and structure I use 30. In heavy vegetation I use 40. My biggest blue was caught on 30 pound test. However I have caught a few 40 pounders on 20 pound but it was in open water. I mostly use Big game line.

17. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I run 100lb PowerPro on all my rods. Plenty of power and abrasion resistance. I love PowerPro and recommend it if anyone likes braid. Gotta be ready to handle anything on the Mississippi.

18. BigKat24-7

BigKat24-7 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    on my favorite rod and reel combo i have 20lb trilene XL green it does the trick and leaves the challenge of fighting and landing the big fish what an adrenaline rush catching a 50lb cat on 20 lb test wooo doggie!!

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

most of the time I use 17-20 but there is a time of year feb-april I change to 40-50 it seems like I catch a lot bigger fish during that time of year.

20. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have now changed to 30 lb. on the main line and went to 50 lb. on the leaders.