Blue Catfishing In The Cold Decmber Ohio Rain

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 10, 2007.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Posted this on a local Ohio forum and of corse, I had to post it here on the greatest catfish website on the'net!

I guess this is called paying your dues. Four of us hit the Ohio River on Sunday the 9th of December. The forecast was 70% chance of rain for the entire day. Well.... the chance rain should have been more like 300% with a tsunami warning. When I say it rained I meant it poured! It was sort of funny at one point becasue we saw a wicked rain wall heading right for us. All we could do was say "Oh crap" and get ready for it. When I say "we" I should really say Ryan and I, becasue Mark and his buddy Scott were dry and warm becasue they were hiding under their wussie top. (see pics). Normally, even in the summer or spring it it were raining this hard we would have called it quits, but no.... it's freakin December and we kept fishing in the cold rain. Both boats were relying on the bilege pums to keep the water out. To top it off, we had no real hard hits until thevery end of the day when a dink channel hit one of Mark's rods. I ended up loosing a $60 Richter anchor before we left too.What a day it was. We should have been like the 30,000 people that DIDN'T show up @ Paul Brown Staduim and have stayed home!

We couldn't wait to get the boats trailed up and head for the warm dry vehicles. On the way home we decided to stop by Wendy's to grab some food. I think we ate them out of food, but get this.... Wendy's had the freakin air conditior on. Yes, it's Decmber 10th and they had the freakin AC on. So it was actually warmer OUTSIDE than it was INSIDE! Again we couldn't wait to get back in the warm vehicles!

Now for the really great part. On my way home from work TODAY, I realized that I forgot to put the Skipjack and Shad back in the freezer YESTERDAY. Let's just say that my garage, (which is connected to my house) doesn't smell real good.

Oh well, I guess it's all just paying your dues, right?

Here is a picture of the wussie top that Mark and Scott had the luxury of hiding underneath!

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of what true catfishermen will do when they need to stay warm and dry!

[​IMG]

No telling what the Ohio can bring your way. I love this picture becasue Mark is no longer warm and dry! (He did however save his baot from this big tree that was coming right for them.)

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of what the boats look like trailered and out of the tsunami.

[​IMG]

Would I do all this again, just to get skunked????????? You bet I would!!!!!

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    H2o Mellon,
    I have been there and done that ! When the going gets tough , the tough get going.May your next day fishing be a great one.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report H2O! You are hardcore and I respect that big time!!!:cool2: So where was the mighty Flathunter? All nice and warm watching the Browns!?! :smile2: :crazy: :eek:oooh: :wink:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds to me like a trip to the WUSSY top store is in order. LOL! HARDCORE! Thanx for sharein the adventure.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Been there, done that. Thanks for the story and pics.

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    looks like fun, be thankful that your able to be out there. those are great pics of the boats. :big_smile: :cool2:

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes it is! If I keep this boat, it will have a cover next year! :big_smile:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice pictures, H2o Mellon. It shows look like someone dont like fishing in the rain.

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I was out on the Ohio Sun. as well, fishing off the bank two different spots, no bites at all 'cept one lone Sauger who would not bite hard enough to even ruin a minnow. Followed to the bank but would not take the bait.

But hey, the weather was nice (till the end) and the beer was cold!:big_smile:

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    H2O, that's hardcore man! I am sure it will pay off. Thanks for the story and pictures.