Blue Catfishing in SC

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Blacky, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    4 of us is headed to the rediversion canal. Our goal is to catch a blue cat. Any tips or suggestions you guys have that will better are chances?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Fresh bait will help a lot. Good luck and watch for alligators.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    When are you guys coming down? The fish are scattered right now, but the canal area should be producing, if there is current. The area where the canal leaves Lake Marion and on north towards the dam is also pretty good and will get better. The shallow areas near deeper water will produce, especially early and late in the day, or at night. Use fresh or live herring, shad, white perch/bluegills; and don't forget to put out some nightcrawlers. If you see a lot of boats anchored and fishing along the channel in front of Harry's, then the fish will be biting there, too. Good luck on your trip.:big_smile:

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thanks Tommy and Thomas, every piece if info is very valuable.

Do SC alligators eat people? How about SC poisionous snakes?

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Fresh or Cut Bait.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Most gators you don't have to worry about, but some of the big ones up on the lakes have gotten pretty used to people and that's never a good thing - especially when people start feeding them bread and such. If a good one starts heading your way, I'd go the other way.

We have copperheads, couple species of rattlesnake, and water mocassins (cottonmouth), none of which you are likely to see. You will prolly see some water snakes (harmless), but just leave them alone and they won't bother you.

Personally, I'd be more worried about fireants (watch for mounds of loose sand - stay away!), mosquitos, yellow flies, and chiggers. If you have a Thermacell or 2, bring them! If you don't have one, I'd pick one up. Most of the outdoorsy oriented little stores and such carry them (like Anglers Mini Marts, etc.)

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Also, if you don't do anything on the rediversion canal, or if you just want a change, check out the Santee River where it comes out of Lake Marion at Wilsons landing. It's right there in the nieghborhood (couple of miles from the canal). If you bring a boat, watch out on the river at Wilsons, it's real shallow for a little bit below the ramp. If you don't have a boat, there's a lot of shore access at Wilsons, and the river is wadeable for a little ways below the landing.

When it gets hot (like it always is down here in the summer) the little asiatic clams start to die in the shallows of the lake and the river (they float up out of their shells and look like little gobs of snot), and that starts a chain of feed for the cats. That's why the catfishing gets good this time of year in front of Harry's and why the river at Wilson's can get good, too. The mullet even get in the fast water on the river and sip the dead clams off the surface like trout taking mayflies.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well I don't remember seeing any reports that they don't eat people but I also don't remember seeing where anyones been attacked in SC either.

Snakes well Santee does have several in the area. Two different rattlesnakes, copperheads and cottonmouth, oh one that never gets any attention Coral Snake. Chances of seeing any of them are slim to none. Now you probably will see plenty of water snakes but most are non-poisionous.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The gators and the snakes won't bother you as long as you respect them. Just watch for snakes or wasp nests in low hanging limbs if you're near any. Come on down and enjoy the heat and the fishing. :wink:

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    We plan on fishing evening and throughout the night. The SC heat scares me.

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    its not the heat that gets you but the humidity. i know first hand. i grew up in SC but am now stationed in AZ. the hottest i ever remeber it getting out there is around 103 but the humidity was killer. a 92 degree day with 90% humidity is way worse than a 115 degree day in AZ. make sure you are drinking plenty of water also. the only thing worse than not catching any fish is to get dehydrated and possibly get hurt. good luck

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Blacky, maybe you guys can get one of these while you're here. This was caught Saturday night on lower Lake Marion.

Attached Files:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A 15lber will suffice me.

Nice fish Tommy, that's a true monster!