Blue Catfishing Help needed quickly

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by barbel, Oct 29, 2005.

1. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I am going out to the Kaw tomorrow (so long as it doesnt rain) and I am going to be fishing for blues. What kind of spots should I fish, what bait should I use, what kind of hooks, etc.... Any information along these lines would be REALLY helpful, and I will kiss you if you can provide some guidance :p . Thanks in advance.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    barbel... I'm not familiar with the KAW, however if you're after blues, then you can't go wrong with cut shad or cut skipjacks for bait.

I use Catmaxx bait holder hooks size 7/0. A good deep hole should be productive or should be holding fish...especially with the recent cool weather.

Oh yeah....no offense....you can skip the kiss part :D

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well I'm not the one to give you any advice on that but wanted to ask you a question.

I notice your signature says "Don't Panic", which leads to my question, have you ever heard the song by that title?

Good luck on catching a BIG BLUE! Let us know how it went when you get back. :0a23:

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't fish the Kaw, but do fish the MO around KC. We were out today for blues on the MO, but it was slow. Rat's right, cut shad is what we use most of the time. I've bought cut skipjack at the bait shop, but have never been able to catch them around here. Some guys use cut carp, anything bloody and oily is ok, I think, if you can't find shad. I like circle hooks for any fish, but you've seen the debates about them on here enough. Whatever you're comfortable with is probably the best bet.

We hit some 30' and 40' holes off the ends off dykes, but only caught one small blue. The bite was pretty light today and the couple of fish we did catch were so full they looked like they might pop. We fished the main channel as well as some shallow flats. That being said, holes are probably your best bet, the trick is finding the one they're in. Or around some structure in a lot of current. I don't think blues require any special gear, as long as you're set up for the big one that might come along. Like I said, I've never fished the Kaw, but I've heard it's pretty shallow on a good day. The Mo is way down, so the Kaw is probably pretty low as well. Good luck tomorrow!

5. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

sounds like RIVER RAT gave you a little help with advice.i especally liked
    PASS ON THE KISS PART.
    KIRK :eek:

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Thanks for all the information guys. It did help quite a bit. I might end up not going down there after all, since its raining (I have no idea why that should stop anyone, but it does.) Either way, I will end up going sometime else, so thanks to everyone.

Cheryl: Nope, I havent heard the song, as a matter of fact. I was just quoting the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (really crazy and wild book, you should read it.)

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dont have much experience with Blue cats, but my choice of baits would be cut skipjacks and shad.

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    ;) Well i bagged 15 of them yesterday in the flats in about 2 hours..on punch bait in 2-3 ft of water...There still shallow in the back up water off the AR. river. in my area.

9. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

BARBEL
    dont worry about catfishing in the rain,it dont get no better than that,
    i would rather fish at night in the rain than,EAT.
    KIRK :D

10. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Haha, of course, Kirk. We did end up going. Didnt catch anything though. The best we got out of it was a good time, and a couple of funny stories.

I was taking the cast net down to a little pool that the river made, and as I walked down to the bank, I took one wrong step and ended up thigh deep in mud. There were a couple of hunting guys that were putting their boat in the water, and while I was yelling for my friends, they were just laughing and laughing and laughing. My friend just thought I caught some shad, so he didnt come help at all. I ended up getting out God knows how. So yes, laugh :p

11. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

BARBEL
    it was kind of funny now that i know that you are safe.let me say this
    the fishermen laughing at you need a good tounge lashing,and as far as
    your fishing buddys go,ibelive i would have a word or 2 with them,glad
    to hear you are OK. :D
    KIRK

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    BARBEL, I would have had a coupla words for my fishing buddies if they did that to me. I might would have to cut a few nitches in thier lines, then when they set the hook on a big fish, I would be the one laughing...LOL :D Or maybe play with their drag a little before going fishing ;) LOL
    Just kidding, glad your okay. I've done the same thing before. :eek: Its not a good feeling eithier when you slip down so far in the mud that you feel like your in Quicksand... :eek:

Zakk :)

13. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    not familiar with the kaw, but if its been cool around there, deep holes should be real productive. as fer bait, you cant go wrong with skipjack, heck, ive caught my two biggest on nightcrawlers i caught in my backyard. bream do good too, cut or whole, as well as goldfish. my favorite hooks are whisker sticker khale hooks w/ double barbs. but ive heard tons about how great circle hooks are, yet ive never tried 'em.

by the way, ill pass on the kiss :)