Blue catfishing and sonar sensitivity on the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Bigbluefisherman, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When blue cat fishing on th MO River, as a rule of thumb what should a guy set his sensativity at? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Matt-I think I'm running my sensitivity setting at around 92 percent, color line is around 86 percent, and surface clutter on medium.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Matt, when on the mighty Mo. I keep my setting low, on a scale of 1 to 10 my setting will be 3 to 4... I want a clear pic of bottom and fish, with a higher setting everything flowing under will cloud detail with clutter and distort what I'm looking for.

4. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    generally i use my sonar to locate structure not fish, just because you dont see a fish on your sonar don't mean its not their. use lower sensitivity so it dont pick up clutter.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I set my Lowrance up at 76% sensitivity, medium surface clarity, and high ping speed. This allows me to see all the structure, the fish if they are off the structure, and even pick up schools of shad. As well, the high ping speed lets me travel at around 40 miles an hour while still reading depths. Someone above had great advice in that you dont want to avoid a spot with structure just because you dont see fish. The fish are really good at holding tight to the structure and they get lost in the sonar shadows. Good Luck

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Set your sensitivity high enough that you just start to see a lot of clutter in the water column, then back it off a bit.

For my LCX-25C, that's around 62% on the Missouri near Kansas City. I run it a lot higher (75 to 85%) in clearer water such as Truman Lake or the Lake of the Ozarks.

But I can't recall the last time I marked a fish on the Missouri River other than some suspended carp...