Blue catfish!

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by charbob4jesus, Oct 23, 2008.

1. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    What is the best kind of bait to use on the blues? I tried using shad, cought one lil blue with it but it seems the channel cats like it more.
    any suggestions?

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Are you river fishing?

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I dont have a whole lot of experience on just targeting blues. I usually just use cut bluegill and have caugt a little bit of everything on it. I have a friend that swears fresh cut goldeye is the best bait. Supposedly its a relative to the macrel and is pretty oily. I've never been able to catch one to try it.

4. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    well i get blues on bluegill,drum,corp and some times goldfish good luck to ya hop i help

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Blues don't seem to have any great preference from what I've read on this
    site. They tend to eat what is made available for them. The bigger they
    get, the more they hold out for a live baitfish but the general catfish formula
    tends to work. They would rather eat something close by than travel a
    ways to get something better, so they tend to hang in current breaks to
    let the current bring them stuff. Not because they are lazy, because if they
    expend a lot of energy to get a meal, they don't grow as fast. They want
    to get bigger every year because the bigger they are, the less likely it is
    that something will eat them. Humans are a sad exception to this rule.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I'v kind of found the opposite to be true, ive cought more smaller blues on live bait than larger. iv always thought of blues to be the cruising type (watch at cabelas tank compaired to the flat) its been said that they will usually cover the inner 2/3s of a river while feeding while the flat head covers the outer 1/3. witch i believe to be true through time fishing and fish cought. my advice for targeting blues is use large blody baits and fish the inner 2/3s of the river its what i do.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

large fresh shad is hard to beat some folks like to cut them up but i prefer them whole with the belly slit open

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I prefer drifting for the blue catfish. I use cut skipjack/shad/bluefill/anything else. Pretty much in that order. Took me awhile to learn HOW to catch blues so be very patient

9. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    My thoughts are that you are fishing a place that has more channel than blues. The channel are getting to your bait before the blues. I have always read that the big blues like to feed in current. My experience is channelcat dont. Try fising some stronger current but stick with the shad because it is the native bait-fish around here.