Blue catfish!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by charbob4jesus, Oct 23, 2008.

1. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    What is the best kind of bait to use on the blues? I tried using shad, cought one lil blue with it but it seems the channel cats like it more.
    any suggestions?

2. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Im not for sure and dont know where or what rivers your fishing. But what I have read and heard that channels are not really common in the mississippi. So I would think that if you fished bigger waters where channels are not so common you would have better luck. Shad are the regular diet for both species.

Maybe someone will chime in and add to this or correct me. I have not had much expierienceon the bigger rivers.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I have a spot where some nights the channels are there and some nights the blues are there , some times both are there. I wouldn't necessarily say they aren't blues in there areas..there is definitely food for them there. Try big bait, small bait, gills, shad, everything. If you put a lot of effort into mixing it up it will pay off. It may take more than one trip even. Blues are funny, they want what they want and will pass up certain baits on certain nights .

Stick with it...g'luck.

4. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    The Mississippi river has alot of channels in it and big ones at that.The blue fishing is awsome there and the Missouri river use cut shad and cut bighead carp try different size baits.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I use cut skipjack, shad, and then bluegill. I think that is pretty much how most of us fish provided that all three are available

6. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for helping me out guys it really helps. Im just fishing on the main tributary river to the osage river so i think it might be loaded with all kinds of biguns.

7. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think live or cut shad is the best bait for blues. If you are not landing them... I'd try different depth of water before I tried changing the bait. I've been catching channels in deep water lately... and blues are from what I hear are being caught in shallow.