Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trahviiz, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Is there any abundance of Blues anywhere in the White near downtown Indy? I've caught one, earlier this year, and I've been fishing the river all my life.

2. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Well, It's not White river. But I've caught several nice size blues at Eagle Creek this
    year. Caugh one there today that ran an easy 10#. I don't catch them there all the time
    but when I do they're usually over 5#. I only
    fish from the bank. But I'm sure that if you
    fished from a boat and moved around a bit you
    could have some luck. I've probably caught
    20 blues there this year. Cut blue gills is
    what I caught them on every time.

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have a friend that used to live in indy so back when i was in HS i fished with him a time or two over near the ben davis area??? i think there a zoo around im not for sure. But anyways reguardless of where i do remember catching a few bluse while with him. I never caught a big one, 8 lbs tops. But that shows they are in there. so im sure there are some big ones there as well. Im sure shane (whiteriverbigcats) will be able to answer that question a lot better than i can tho

4. j-catfish

j-catfish New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have caught some blues out of the white myself, biggest only being around #10. I have caught several in the #5 range so i'm not to sure how big they get there ,but they are in there.I usually fish around downtown myself, from 16th st down to around the IPL plant off harding st and have caught them all through there mostly on live and cut gills.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    An abundance NO. As bad as I wish there was, there isnt... But I do know they are in there.. The biggest i've seen come from the White is 40+ and that was caught at the IPL Dam just north of Martinsville about 3 yrs ago.. I do know my sister caught one North of the Waverly Ramp last year that was 8-10 pounds. And I have caught maybe 6 or 7 my whole life out of the White River and about 10# is the biggest..

But thats not to say bigger ones dont exsist... Look at Ben North's Blue he caught.. He didnt know they were there till it bit.. Im bought ready to catch them out of paylakes and let them go in the river...

But I will tell you there are some BIG OL BLUES in Eagle Creek Res.. Saw an Old Man catch a 43 pounder right next to Ricks Boatyard Cafe last year.. They used to have a pic of it up at the little shack of a bait house..

6. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I'll never discredit Eagle Creek. Every time I'm there some old timer stops by and tells me 15 minutes worth of stories about Blues, Flatties, and Wipers. :smile2:

I fish there pre spawn every year. I catch tons of 10lb channels every year but never pulled any other type of cat.

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have caught 1 blue out of there it was like 4#.. Never a flathead and channels by the 100's

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Me & a former coworker would go fishing every weekend at Strave Hollow
    near Seymor. Just for the sake of using smelts for bait I caught an, 38", 13 1/2# Northern Pike. No one seemed to know that they were there except for wild fish stories.:eek:oooh:

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i bet that was a wild treat down your way dave! i didnt know they were down that far either. did you eat it, they are tasty?

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They're in Monroe too (pike)... how many of ya knows that?

11. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    What bait did you use to catch those channels
    Travis? I've been going to Eagle Creek a lot lately and I continue to catch 10-15# blues on
    cut gills. I would rather catch channels for
    eating but it's still been nice pulling in the blue cats.

12. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
  13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Bill, I've heard about the Northerns in Monroe. There was an article in the IndyStar about 6 years ago I believe about a guy who hooked into a 40"+ pike in there and it broke his pole.

14. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sorry Guys but them Blues u all are catching out of the white river around indy ARE channels. No blues above the ipl dam Sorry just big male channels. Eagle creek has blues. Not white river i Wish..

15. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    I agree blazerjet. Definately no blues in the white. There male channels. I would think if you fished down in bedford you might have a chance at catching them in the white river. I catch alot of dark blue channels in the white but never a blue.

16. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    naw iron cat them blue got a old mouth lol Plus as big as a bath tube:wink: