Blue Catfish ???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Fish Dog, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Fish Dog

Fish Dog New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Caught this one out of the Verdigris today.Is it a Blue or what is called a Mississippi White ????

Pic didn"t come thru I'll try again

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Look like a blue to me.Nice one also.

3. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yep, Thats a blue. Some people call them white cats,or white fultons.

4. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    There are no white cats in the navigation channel.

It's a blue and a nice one......Congrats!:wink:

5. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Don't bet the farm. I've caught two in last few years.

6. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    congrats on the good bluecat

7. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    According to the ODWC, Mississippi Whites are actually blues. They just have a lighter color due to living in darker, muddier water. There is no scientific name for a white catfish.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ID EAT IT!

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there is no such creature as a white catfish, they are a blue catfish with a different coloration.

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Lonnie glad to have you aboard the BOC. Nice catch an great pic/ many thanks!

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    There's no such thing as a mississippi white or white cat that lives in Oklahoma. There's people in Eastern Ok that swear there such a animal but there isn't.

There is a small white catfish but there are in the Eastern US

12. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris is correct. There are no white catfish in Okla.

13. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Member

State:
    Guthrie Ok
    This is what Tiny says. (Tinys Smith Catfish guide service)

Ever since we've been getting bluecat in Oklahoma, around the Navigational Channel people tell of a fish there called the "Mississippi White" catfish. They have big ole heads and a hump back and they're chalk white. They were supposed to have come here from Mississippi but if you talk to anyone along the Mississippi river and you mention something called a mississippi white, they won't know what you're talking about. This is almost a name exclusively used around the Nav channel east of Tulsa but it's spread to other regions and people even now think they're a different species than the bluecat. Well, it's just not so.
    Bluecat's pigment will be different colors and if they're in clear water and exposed to sunlight all the time they'll be dark. If they're in deep muddy water they'll be white and usually in colder muddy waters they'll be almost chalk white. They're the same species and the ones with the round heads with the hump backs are just male bluecat. the ones that don't have the rounded heads are females and they're easily distinguishable just by looking at their heads.

14. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Soonerfan - You are absolutely correct.

15. Fish Dog

Fish Dog New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I caught this one on the navagational channel this week,it is almost half pure white,what kind would it be ???????????

Attached Files:

16. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I cannot be sure because of the way you are holding it but it appears to be a blue. The light and dark color phase appears to be a genetic screw up. This is nothing too surprising. Bass have been caught with black splotches on their sides. I have seen bass with deformed spines too.

17. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Bluecat

18. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

yessir that's a blue, you can tell by the deep fork in the tail and the long anal fin (which you're partly covering) lol. if I remember correctly a blue catfish has between 30 and 35 anal ray fin's and a channel has between 25 and 29, but either way it's a beautiful fish congrats

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well folks...I'm not tryin to be a know it all but I felt I should say something just to let yas know.

There is in fact a white catfish. They are here in the SC and common in places. They will look exactly like a blue, some whiter in color and theyare a lot smaller.

They have under 24 anal rays, channels have 24-29, and blues have 30 and over. The record white isn't very big but it is recorded.

I'm not saying the fish in question is one, or if there are any in those waters but they are real cats and they are not blues.

There are many blues here that are white but they aren't white cats...you can only tell by counting the rays.

-Jim-

20. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Agreed, weird coloration for sure, but a blue.