Blue catfish vs. Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ivan09193, Sep 3, 2006.

1. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Which species of catfish grows larger? Blues or flatheads?

Personally, I've heard that blues are larger, but I've heard the opposite on some websites.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats a good question. there are a lot more big blues caught than flats but i think its due to blues being pretty easy to catch, they seem to be constantly hungry and feed just like channels. larger flatties are way more elusive and dont seem to feed very often. i remember seeing a 149lb flattie in In-Fisherman years back that was caught in Arkansas on a trottline, that would beat the world record blue by 25+ lb.

3. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Bro ,Im thinking there are more big flatheads than Blues ,Blues grow alot slower than a flathead.But Iv sean Bigger Blues,Iv never saw a 100lb flathead but Iv saw a 105 lb Blue and a 110lb blue so I think it is cuz Blue's grow slower.But hey I aint no expert But I am a OKIE CATMAN .........:004:

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ive seen bigger Blues then Flatheads, but im sure somewhere out there that can be changed in time..... I just hope im on the receiving end of the rod.... i would love to land a monster Flatty over 100#+

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    by the way welcome to the BOC Aaron....

6. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Are you talking about the 139 lber the Sayer boys caught about 30 years ago ? That was below David D Terry Lock and Dam on the Arkansas River.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that might be it, thought it was 149 lb:roll_eyes: